#1 Eugene Lehnert

Eugene Lehnert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

If I have an HDCAMSR tape that is 1.85 or 2.35 how is it converted to a DCP? Is the HD image uprezzed to the 2K size or does the HD image sit inside the large 2K frame? And the color conversion is a simple 2D LUT to go from Rec709 to XYZ?

#2 Benjamin Kantor

Benjamin Kantor

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:27 AM

Below is a sample workflow (I work at a post house where we occasionally make DCPs):

1. Ingest the HDCAM-SR as an uncompressed Quicktime (probably a Blackmagic 4:4:4 codec, in our case).

2. Scale the image to meet the DCP 2K standard (for 1.85:1, it's 1998×1080, for 2.39:1, it's 2048×858). To be clear, the image fills the entire frame, there is no letterboxing or pillarboxing.

3. Export as a TIF sequence.

4. We use OpenDCP, which semi-automatically takes the TIF sequence and converts it to a JPEG2000 sequence in XYZ color, and then wraps it up in an MXF wrapper for delivery.

#3 Eugene Lehnert

Eugene Lehnert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

Thanks. I would imagine the uprez to 2k would not be that noticeable? I guess it depends on what algorithm you use. What are your thoughts?

#4 Benjamin Kantor

Benjamin Kantor

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

Yes, from a scale perspective, we are talking about 9.4% to get it from 1080p to 2K, which I personally think is negligible. Also, if your film were playing in a theater off an HDCAMSR deck feeding to a 2K projector (like a Barco), it would be getting upsampled to 2K by the projector hardware anyway, so I don't know that there's a difference in the end result regardless.

If you really wanted to fine-tune the scaling algorithm, then something like B-spline is going to technically look better than Bicubic. However, it complicates the workflow. The four step workflow I mentioned before could probably be covered in 4 hours for a 2 hour tape, using just FCP or Premiere and a DCP application. Adding a B-spline step could more than double that time, as it would add a completely new, time consuming process in a different application (we would probably use Nuke or a Photoshop action).

#5 Eugene Lehnert

Eugene Lehnert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

Ok great. Thanks for the help and advice.

Opal

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Paralinx LLC