Andrew Ramsay

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

Hello,

I'm filming a short with two actors sitting on a couch in a sitting room. I want to be able to have them get up and move around and stay well lit without shadows or problems. I would like to have day and night time lighting, if possible, was just wondering how difficult it will be to achieve this? What kind of lights should I buy? And should I be using diffusion of some kind to spread the light around evenly? I'm using a canon 7d and a 50 ml lens.

Thanks,

Andrew.

#2 Nick Centera

Nick Centera
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • San Diego

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

Hey, what you are asking is pretty broad. It is hard for anyone to give advice without some more info about what happens in the scene, like scene description and mood.

That said, for the day time, if there are windows in the room, which I feel I can assume there are, then just use the sunlight coming in from the window. If you would like it to be soft, you could find some thin white curtains to go in front. As for the night scene, if you want to be able to move around freely without seeing equip on the ground then you have a limited amount of ways you can light the scene. Again, I have to assume things since there was not a great deal of info provided. This is probably a location and not on a stage so you could put lights outside simulating moonlight or a streetlight...but if you are on a 2nd story or above and have no budget this could be a problem. Another solution would be to have numerous practical lamps around the set and put larger wattage bulbs in them, say 150-300watt (check what the max is in the sockets). If you do this, the light will be quite natural and most likely soft because of the shades, etc.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc