Photo

Bell & Howell 2230 Microstar Z Xl Super 8 camera, which film?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ethan Price

Ethan Price

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

Hi people, glad to have found a good forum for my questions, i have just bought a Bell & Howell 2230 Microstar Z XL Super 8 Camera, i was wondering which film will be compatible with it? i'm extremely new to this and hoping to develop filming into a hobby and career, so any advice would be appreciated.

the manual that came with the camera says it is designed to accept all Super 8 Films with speed ratings between ASA 40/25 and ASA 160/100 (17/15 DIN and 23/21 DIN)

these numbers mean little to me and i want to be sure before i buy any films

thanks in advance

(NB i hope i'm in the right topic here!)

Edited by Ethan Price, 08 May 2012 - 02:38 PM.

#2 Richard Tuohy

Richard Tuohy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Daylesford, Australia

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

Hi Ethan,
you probalby should have posted this in the Super 8 forum. Not to worry though. The Super 8 Database doesn't have information about this particular model camera's film speed choices. However, if, as you say, the camera's manual does indeed say speed ratings 'between' 40/25 and 160/100, that would mean it can read 40, 64, 100, 160 Tungsten and 25, 40, 64 and 100 Daylight. Specifically, this means you can use Ektachrome 100d (reversal, ie a 'positive' film). You could also use the Vision 3 200T colour negative film. To use Tri-X black and white film, you would need to insert a screw in the movie light screw hole. It is a long story to explain why, but I'll try to reduce it and if you don't follow it, don't worry, just do as I say. Tri-X is in a daylight cartridge - that means there is no filter notch cut into the cartridge. If you insert tri-x in your camera, it will be read as a 100 asa daylight film. That is a 1 stop over expose which is too much for reversal film (but fine for negative film like the vision 3 200T colour). By inserting the movie light screw in the camera, the camera will now give readings based on the Tungsten speeds, rather than the daylight speeds. This means it will rate the Tri-X at 160 which is acceptable.
good luck with it,
richard

#3 Ethan Price

Ethan Price

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

Hi Ethan,
you probalby should have posted this in the Super 8 forum. Not to worry though. The Super 8 Database doesn't have information about this particular model camera's film speed choices. However, if, as you say, the camera's manual does indeed say speed ratings 'between' 40/25 and 160/100, that would mean it can read 40, 64, 100, 160 Tungsten and 25, 40, 64 and 100 Daylight. Specifically, this means you can use Ektachrome 100d (reversal, ie a 'positive' film). You could also use the Vision 3 200T colour negative film. To use Tri-X black and white film, you would need to insert a screw in the movie light screw hole. It is a long story to explain why, but I'll try to reduce it and if you don't follow it, don't worry, just do as I say. Tri-X is in a daylight cartridge - that means there is no filter notch cut into the cartridge. If you insert tri-x in your camera, it will be read as a 100 asa daylight film. That is a 1 stop over expose which is too much for reversal film (but fine for negative film like the vision 3 200T colour). By inserting the movie light screw in the camera, the camera will now give readings based on the Tungsten speeds, rather than the daylight speeds. This means it will rate the Tri-X at 160 which is acceptable.
good luck with it,
richard

thanks richard! will give it a go, the 200t is very expensive for some reason over here so i will try the 100d. great help! many thanks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape