Chris Lambert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

Hi all

Does anyone have any suggestion with mounting GoPro's underwater?

I am working on a docu next week and the director wants to mount go pro's to the underside of Bouy's with a bait trap below with the aim of hopefully getting footage of sharks.

Any suggestions on going about this? I was thinking of removing the bouys drying them out, and then attaching the adhesive mounts to the underside and perhaps rig up some kind of cable tie backup should something happen.

My main concern is how does the adhesive hold up to water, and more specifically salt water?

Also considering our targets are attracted to electrical signals is there any likelyhood of them munching on the gear, i know it's plastic contained but Sharks are extremely sensitive to electrical signals

We will be using the flat lenses for improved sharpness also.

#2 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

Lots of options but what is the bouy made out of ? the part that you can/need to mount to that is.

If you can just screw right into it - or screw into something that is then itself easier to ratchet strap/tie down.

If you're worried about sharks having a munch I don't think a cable tie is much of a secondary (and thinking on it, if you use enough adhesive to be shark proof how are you going to remove it afterwards?). For a safety perhaps try a wire rope safety like from a lighting fixture.

We had to mount housed gopros on to swimmers heads last shoot - they'd swing down into the swimmers face when they dived into the pool which wasn't the shot we were after, we could have screwed them on in that case but I don't think the talent would have appreciated it.Posted Image

#3 Chris Lambert

Chris Lambert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:06 AM

Thanks Chris

I believe the Bouy is plastic/rubber

I'm not too worried about retrieving anything apart from the GoPro at the end of it all

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Opal

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies