#1 Zander Kroon

Zander Kroon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:52 PM

I just finished school in Chicago, I attended Columbia to study cinematography. Over the past few years I moved up the ladder quickly, earning my union card with the Local 476 (as electrician/grip) at the end of junior year. Now that I have graduated I plan on moving to LA in the fall, after the shooting season here ends.

Although I love Chicago and have made a good name for myself here I know I need to head out to LA if I want a better chance of making it as a DP. Moving there is going to be a big step since I'll have to restart my networking and begin working up the ladder again. Although shooting is my end goal, I want to keep working on the big shows when I'm not shooting so I can keep food on the table and a roof over my head. So my question is, how easy or difficult would it be to get unionized out in LA? Would my current membership and union experience help? Also, in LA do you have to pick a side? Electric or grip?

thanks folks

#2 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

I just finished school in Chicago, I attended Columbia to study cinematography. Over the past few years I moved up the ladder quickly, earning my union card with the Local 476 (as electrician/grip) at the end of junior year. Now that I have graduated I plan on moving to LA in the fall, after the shooting season here ends.

Although I love Chicago and have made a good name for myself here I know I need to head out to LA if I want a better chance of making it as a DP. Moving there is going to be a big step since I'll have to restart my networking and begin working up the ladder again. Although shooting is my end goal, I want to keep working on the big shows when I'm not shooting so I can keep food on the table and a roof over my head. So my question is, how easy or difficult would it be to get unionized out in LA? Would my current membership and union experience help? Also, in LA do you have to pick a side? Electric or grip?

thanks folks

Yes, you'll choose one or the other and specialize.

You should call the Local offices for details regarding your specific situation:

http://realfilmcaree....php?topic=17.0

Motion Picture Grips/Crafts Service Local 80 - http://www.iatselocal80.org
The official website for motion picture Grips, Crafts Service, Scenics, and Marine employees.

Motion Picture Studio Electrical Lighting Technicians Local 728 - http://www.iatse728.org
The official website for studio Electrical Lighting Technicians.

The Slider

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Tai Audio