Resume & jobs that would precede the DOP role

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jack Barton

Jack Barton
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

I have recently finished a degree in film production and I am eager to begin working within the industry. I have developed an appreciation for cinematography throughout the course of my studies although my experience is limited, the course I was enrolled upon did not go so far as to provide me with a solid grounding in this specific field. I understand that it is highly unlikely that I will walk straight into the role of director of photography and so what I would like to know is how I would approach production companies with the experience that I have, what roles would be achievable and effective in preparing me for the role of dop?

#2 Paul Brenno

Paul Brenno
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • North Dakota

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:18 PM

I have recently finished a degree in film production and I am eager to begin working within the industry. I have developed an appreciation for cinematography throughout the course of my studies although my experience is limited, the course I was enrolled upon did not go so far as to provide me with a solid grounding in this specific field. I understand that it is highly unlikely that I will walk straight into the role of director of photography and so what I would like to know is how I would approach production companies with the experience that I have, what roles would be achievable and effective in preparing me for the role of dop?

- Jack, if you are a new graduate, find any job in film/video, from shooting anything to post production. When approaching a company, tell them about yourself and even go as far as volunteering on shoots to internships, really anything to get in the door, if you live in a city that does do that. Another path is to find any job in video production, from no/low path video productions to " get experience ". Many of us working in the field (I've been in the field now for 15 yrs, but was laid off), starting small then gradually worked my way up.

There is no one specific way to become a DP, probably nobody will hire you (pay you money) to DP their film, without a good reel. Friends maybe, but I would also look at the alma maters from your school, see if you know their work and contact them, pick their brain, etc....I would also say to buy a cheap video camera (whatever you can afford) and shoot a bunch of footage, then edit a reel together, just to show potential Producers you can shoot....

Here's my reels to show you:
#1 " Why Apply for College: Parent Challenges " web-series HD Director of Photography

#2 COMMERCIAL REEL: PRODUCER/DP/EDITOR:

Wooden Camera

Opal

CineTape

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Glidecam

The Slider