#1 SnyderDerival

SnyderDerival

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

Modified my demoreel base on my last couple jobs. fell free to leave any comment!

Edited by SnyderDerival, 22 May 2012 - 09:00 PM.

#2 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:30 AM

Modified my demoreel base on my last couple jobs. fell free to leave any comment!

Right I'm going to be harsh. Especially as you cross posted! ;)

You got off to a great start with that amazing tunnel shot. Excellent! Best stuff should go up front!
You also have some very nice shots on your reel.

HOWEVER, there's also some utter, utter, rubbish on there! :)
...and unfortunately they are close to the start of the reel instead of buried in the middle.
It's 1.5 minutes long. How about you chop it down to a nice minute and just hit them hard with great stuff for 1 min solid.

Remember your reel should be your BEST stuff. Not the stuff you are proud you managed to cobble together given the harsh circumstances.
Nobody will want to know about your sob story, people are like that. ;)

love

Freya

#3 SnyderDerival

SnyderDerival

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:38 AM

Thank You for explaining this time. Now I know exactly what I need to change. If it's now a problem I would like you to even go into it a little more and tell the shots that bothers at the beginning. I will send you the updated version and see how it is after I modify. Thank you so much!

#4 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:52 AM

Gonna be kind because your reel is such a contrast.

Stuff to lose:

Girl with bag: This is just okay, I kind of like it, but it's not special enough to be this far up. This is mid-reel or lose it.

Don't Break my heart, actually kind of like this shot. The blue light outside/door is nice, bit of depth with the person in the foreground, basically good but not great. If you keep it, it must go further down your reel. Maybe in the middle.

Next Shot: Apple. Love it. Just mentioning because other than the tunnel this shot really stuck in my mind, a definite keeper. Maybe it would be nice with darker shots either side tho. Make it stand out even more!

Shot of door.
If you are keeping it, maybe it would work better before the apple? Try it and see, otherwise maybe lose it, it's just a door, at least it is fast!

20 seconds:
Girl with letter. Nice blue, nice orange background. Nasty white void. !!Avoid the white walls!!

Next Shot: Putting on shoes. BORING... next

30 seconds: Guy with gun and glasses. This is just okay. If you keep should be mid reel, otherwise loose.

33 seconds:
!!White wall!!. Very am-dram looking acting. Blown out highlights on white wall, (looks like a flood just pointed at wall). Poor and uninteresting framing. This shot is really, really, really bad! Lose it!

-----------

After this your reel gets way better! I mean waaaaay better! A lot of nice stuff with only the occasional not so hot stuff neatly buried. Trouble is that you already lost them. That was your first 30 seconds and it has the worst shots in it. It shouldn't get great mid reel. That's where you hide stuff thats only good, instead of fabulous! ;)

Anyway those are my opinions, take it or leave it, but I hope you can see where I'm coming from.

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black, 23 May 2012 - 07:56 AM.

#5 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

Also:

44 minutes, looks very dark. Maybe too dark, I like it tho.

The rest of it's cut together really well. There are a few not great shots, that one of the girl and not much else, the guy in the corridor with the letter. The framing of the "Godfather" shot isn't great either, but I love it because it makes me think of the godfather. ;) Always a good thing, especially further down the reel. The thing is that you have cut in those shots very briefly and they do add to the flow and keep it magical.

I find it really odd the way it suddenly gets better 30 seconds in. Is there a reason for that at all?

Love the candles, and love the waterfall.

You have inspired me to embrace candles in the near future too! :)

love

Freya

#6 SnyderDerival

SnyderDerival

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:23 AM

As I already mention, Thank You but it would hurt to say it again so THANKS I Will post the new version as soon as I update (maybe tomorrow)

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

CineLab

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC