#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:12 AM

I guess I've just been lucky this week. I saw another uber-cool film I had seen many moons ago and had the chance to re-discover it with new eyes just today. The Masque of the Red Death is visually gorgeous. It's probably Corman's most opulent foray into the motion picture arts. A lot of the production value comes from the fact that he (guided by his incredible sense of efficiency and taste) reused many of the sets built for the much bigger budgeted "Becket". The story again is good but not great. The cinematography is exquisite. For a low budget horror picture it has some of the best production value of any picture in that category I've ever scene. Production designers could take a lesson from this picture. It's also one of my favorite performances Vincent Price ever gave. It was much subtle and darker that many of the other horror pieces he did. I really believed the understated pure evil that lies just under that character's regal countenance. Take a look:

(Unfortunate this has I think Swedish subtitles but it was the only complete version on Youtube I found which I figure would be safe to watch on line) B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 04 June 2012 - 01:17 AM.

#2 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

One of my all time fave films!!! :)
Especially love the scene where she passes between the rooms of different colours.
I love the atmosphere of the film too which I think is different to any I have ever seen. There is a very strange kind of tension. It is strangely dark despite the interiors being brightly lit and colourful.
Just love it on so many levels.

I didn't know the sets were from Becket and I think I have a copy of Becket kicking around here. Must watch it!
I assume Becket is not a Roger Corman pic tho?

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black, 04 June 2012 - 06:08 PM.

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:31 AM

One of my all time fave films!!! :)
Especially love the scene where she passes between the rooms of different colours.
I love the atmosphere of the film too which I think is different to any I have ever seen. There is a very strange kind of tension. It is strangely dark despite the interiors being brightly lit and colourful.
Just love it on so many levels.

I didn't know the sets were from Becket and I think I have a copy of Becket kicking around here. Must watch it!
I assume Becket is not a Roger Corman pic tho?

love

Freya

LOL, No, "Becket" was Peter Glenville. Beautiful film. It was the piece I used for speech and drama tournaments when I was in high school. I did the Henry the second role. "I am your king, Becket and so long as we two are on this earth, you owe me the first move." It was a wonderful soliloquy (I always considered myself more of a Peter O'toole type rather than a Richard Burton type. Actually we cut a few pieces of Henry's dialog together to make the required time limit, my first editing job). If you havem't seen it, find you copy and watch it. It's great! B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 06 June 2012 - 12:32 AM.

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Tai Audio