#1 Martin Mayo

Martin Mayo

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Director

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

Here is the issue: I went to Cinegear expo and went to the Fuji film Presentation where they compared fuji 250, vivid, Alexa and Red using the same footage (some japanese images of warrior soldiers) all the footage was beautifully photographed, the ting that was amazing is that Film had still the best look of all the images, better than Alexa and better than Red. I was impressed by the beauty in 35mm film- whats happening in Digital is the same thing that happened in audio, when everybody started to record digital until they re-discovered that Analog just sounds so much better.

I love film,and like Spielberg I will continue shooting film, however film post is very complicated, it has limited control and it's expensive. i do prefer to edit on final cut or avid on any other digital non linear system.
It's faster, and cheaper and I think even better, I read that next year the studios will be delivering movies only digitally.

So haw can I use 35mm and transfer to Data files with quality, Well a telecine machine really wont do it, they run at 4:2:2 color space and you are not getting all the color information, you need to scan your film in a hi end film scanner, you can scan in 2K but it must be at 4:4:4 10 bit Log DPX at 4K, 4:4:4 10 bit Log DPX, the size of the file is not double but 4 times as big so you really capture all the information from your film
Except that it's really expensive! some people charge a dollar or more per frame to scan your 4k files a movie can cost up to $150,000.00 US DOLLARS to scan. We did research and we found on the internet companies that where economical we found some that now a day charge 1.49 per foot to scan, that is really cheap but when you consider that a feature film will cost you $15K plus, it becomes ok for people with one movie but if you own lets say 100 films that need to be archived into 4K now your talking 150K.

I love film and I want film to continue but it cannot if we don't put our money where our mouth is. I want for the 35mm shooters to be able to scan their movie on the best possible system at the best resolution and do it inexpensively, (cheaper than standard telecine) so more independents will be able to shoot 35mm, besides 35mm camera rentals are very cheap now and you can even buy a 35mm camera for just a few thousand dlls.

For film library owners and film vaults, archiving their films will be possible at a very inexpensive price therefore we will be able to save so many more movies from getting destroyed and disappearing due to the ravages of time.

I own a post production facility in North Hollywood, We have acquired a new scanning machine, we will be doing 4K scans for 3 1/2 cents per frame (not a Dollar) this means that for approximately 5K you will be able to scan your color movie in 4K 4:4:4 10 bit log and you will receive a 4K and a Pro Res or high def uncompressed or 2K file, the only added cost is the cost of the media.

Your Black and White at 4K scan at a cost of 4K and at 2K it will cost 3.5 k for Color and 3K for Black and white that is a full 90 minute film. or if you have a short figure 3 1/2 cent a frame - $ 0.56 cents a foot.

There is also available at an additional cost, full restoration, color correction, editing, titles, surround sound mixing, ADR, SFX, Foley, Dialog Editing, music creation, electronic scoring, music recording, beats etc.

We are a professional corporation and we are members with good standing with the Better Business Bureau.

We are half philanthropic and half biz that is why we can afford to do this, we want to save as many films as we can and extend the life of 35mm.

For more information www.HDSoundAndPicture.com or call Martin at 818 - 633 - 6465.

HD SOUND AND PICTURE
SCAN MY MOVIE DIVISION
Martin Mayo President

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks