#1 Paul Tackett

Paul Tackett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:32 PM

Check out seconds 19 and 20 in this video. There is almost a duplicate image of the guy and its as if the image was duplicated and had a low opacity added to the video. I shot this on the 7d and it may be the lens (stock) or it could have been the editor, final cut. Any idea? This has shown up in another one of my videos under the same circumstances so its not a first.

#2 Mike Lary

Mike Lary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:59 AM

Check out seconds 19 and 20 in this video. There is almost a duplicate image of the guy and its as if the image was duplicated and had a low opacity added to the video. I shot this on the 7d and it may be the lens (stock) or it could have been the editor, final cut. Any idea? This has shown up in another one of my videos under the same circumstances so its not a first.

This looks like a reflection bouncing between glass elements before hitting the image plane. It can happen with some lenses and/or stacked filters when you have a hot light source in the frame. Near the end of the shot in question the camera turns slightly toward the sun, which makes the effect more pronounced. However, you can see the effect creeping in before that as the subject becomes more back lit from the sun.

#3 Paul Tackett

Paul Tackett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

This looks like a reflection bouncing between glass elements before hitting the image plane. It can happen with some lenses and/or stacked filters when you have a hot light source in the frame. Near the end of the shot in question the camera turns slightly toward the sun, which makes the effect more pronounced. However, you can see the effect creeping in before that as the subject becomes more back lit from the sun.

Ah ok. Yeah could have been the Nd I had on it

#4 Filip Orlandic

Filip Orlandic
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

Did you use screw-on filters or square ones with matte box?

#5 Paul Tackett

Paul Tackett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

It was the screw on kind and it was a variable nd as well. That may have done it I suppose.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

CineLab

CineTape

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera