Patrick Phelan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:31 PM

Hey there,
So I am doing an experimental project without a crew: it will just have me holding a camera and actors doing their thing.
I am looking for a cheap way to record their dialogue without any mixer. I realize the result won't be the ideal sound quality, but I am still looking for the best I can get this way. What I am looking for is something I can put on them for a candid project, so they can run around and do their own thing without having the camera or passerby's noticing the microphone.
My original idea was to hook a Zoom up to a microphone and use the Zoom like a self reliant lav. Does anyone have a good microphone recommendation for this? Or does anyone know of better sound equipment for this type of scenario?
Thanks

#2 Tom Balfe

Tom Balfe

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

Hey there,
So I am doing an experimental project without a crew: it will just have me holding a camera and actors doing their thing.
I am looking for a cheap way to record their dialogue without any mixer. I realize the result won't be the ideal sound quality, but I am still looking for the best I can get this way. What I am looking for is something I can put on them for a candid project, so they can run around and do their own thing without having the camera or passerby's noticing the microphone.
My original idea was to hook a Zoom up to a microphone and use the Zoom like a self reliant lav. Does anyone have a good microphone recommendation for this? Or does anyone know of better sound equipment for this type of scenario?
Thanks

I have the Zoom H4n, it's got phantom power in case your microphone needs it. It runs off AA batteries. You can use the built-in X-Y mics but they pick up a lot of background noise so if your camera makes any sound at all it will probably pick it up. I would go with a Zoom and as much of a shotgun mic as you can afford.

#3 Patrick Phelan

Patrick Phelan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

Thanks, Tom.
I am actually not looking for a shot gun mic, but more of a clip on mic. Do you have any recommendations of good ones?

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post