Josh Smailes

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:19 PM

HI,

I need some advice aboute lenses for my canon EOS 7D.

I am filming a wedding in a few months and I was hoping that someone could tell me what a good allround lens for my 7D would be.

If someone could help me out it'l be very appreciated

thank. :D

#2 Paul Bartok

Paul Bartok
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

Hi Josh, Remember if your filming DOF is a big issue you don't want those import moment's to be out of focus,
So you want a wider angle lens but not too wide so that everything looks fisheye. But I thing i realized is that's all good but when your too far away you either have to switch lenses or my recommendation would be get something like a 18-110 or something along those lines, but don't go crazy with the zooms,

#3 Josh Smailes

Josh Smailes

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:05 PM

Hi Josh, Remember if your filming DOF is a big issue you don't want those import moment's to be out of focus,
So you want a wider angle lens but not too wide so that everything looks fisheye. But I thing i realized is that's all good but when your too far away you either have to switch lenses or my recommendation would be get something like a 18-110 or something along those lines, but don't go crazy with the zooms,

Thanks Paul,
I was thinking of something along those lines, I just wasn't quite sure if that was a good idea. Thanks again.:)

#4 Travis Gray

Travis Gray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Boston, MA

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

Don't necessarily just go with wides for a larger DOF. Figure out how far you'll be to figure out what focal length would work best (a zoom probably will be the best in this case if you have a lot going on and don't have time to switch out lenses. I do weddings for my bread and butter stuff and shoot with primes because.. I dunno. I'm insane.)

I try to stop down to 5.6/8 if I don't know where things'll be moving, but for the basic parts where there's not a lot of movement, you can probably get away with opening up more, but just keep an eye on DOF. I hate shooting anything too too shallow unless I'm going for something specific.

Try renting a 70-200. Heavy, but put it on sticks and that'll do wonders. Then you have a constant f-stop to work with. If you're closer, 24-70 is good too. The one wedding I shot on DSLR, I rented both and never pulled out the 70-200.

And then focal length depends on how intrusive/in the background you'll want to sit.

#5 Josh Smailes

Josh Smailes

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:20 AM

Don't necessarily just go with wides for a larger DOF. Figure out how far you'll be to figure out what focal length would work best (a zoom probably will be the best in this case if you have a lot going on and don't have time to switch out lenses. I do weddings for my bread and butter stuff and shoot with primes because.. I dunno. I'm insane.)

I try to stop down to 5.6/8 if I don't know where things'll be moving, but for the basic parts where there's not a lot of movement, you can probably get away with opening up more, but just keep an eye on DOF. I hate shooting anything too too shallow unless I'm going for something specific.

Try renting a 70-200. Heavy, but put it on sticks and that'll do wonders. Then you have a constant f-stop to work with. If you're closer, 24-70 is good too. The one wedding I shot on DSLR, I rented both and never pulled out the 70-200.

And then focal length depends on how intrusive/in the background you'll want to sit.

Thanks Travis, much appreciated

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Opal

Technodolly

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery