My first cinematography reel

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nicholas Helgason

Nicholas Helgason
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

Hi,

I just finished my first year at film school and decided to make a demo reel from the 4 short films that I was the dp on

this is not the finished product it dosent have my name on it and information,

I did that because I wanted to get some sugestions on what clips perhaps should not be there because as yous probably know you are always judged based on your worst

so if you have time It would help alot to get some criticism on what I could of done beter and what was your favorite

here is the link My link

the password is 3579

#2 Peter James Scott

Peter James Scott
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

Hi Nicholas nice work.

I have to say my favourite parts were the close up of the eye you see throughout and the clip of the dinner set at 1:11, there is a particularly nice colour palette here. All of it is at a nice quality focus, camera movement and framing wise. It looks like something that could be on the E4 channel you work has that sort of feel to it.

My only advise would be to add some depth into some of your images. Some look a bit too flat, and some contrasting shadows would make the image more dramatic.

Hope this helps and keep up the good work. Thanks,

P. J. Scott

@pjscott89

#3 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:13 AM

Well once again, you need to put your best stuff up front.
I suggest your best shots are

0.25: Great tracking and nice shot with the girl and the dolls.
0.30: The dansette thing.
1.02:
1.04: Man with mirror, kind of cliche' but looking good.
1.10: Overhead of food, probably best shot in your reel, should be up front but will probably be weird as first shot but I bet you could cut it onto the end of / inbetween the more colourful stepford girls with dusters thing.
1.16: Not at all sure what you can do with this. Might be better in slo-mo? Dunno. It's okay, not the worst stuff on your reel.
1.58: Really nice shot. Simple but beautiful.
0.53: Kind of grey and grim but I think that's the point right? This looks like an interesting kind of body rig shot from what I can see. It's not clear that this is what it is tho, so you should make this shot longer so he is just floating down the corridor. Suggest it should be sandwiched between more colourful stuff, like after the stepford cleaners or something. You may not have enough footage to make that work tho, dunno.

Would avoid the eye close ups if you can. An extreme close up of a bannana or a biscuit or something would be way better. It's really a huge cliche' and very boring.

Theres a lot of really boring shots that shouldn't really be on your reel but you might be stuck with. I sort of like the deep depth of field thing you are trying to do in the cafe, but it doesn't quite work. I think it needs more distance for starters.

...and yes it really does have the look of a very cheap UK tv drama.
Would suggest you spend some more time watching more cinematic movies.
(Will be facinated if you tell me now you aren't based in the UK?!!)
OTOH maybe this look will take you really far in the world of UK tv, I've never been sure if they really want the programmes to look like that!!! I've just watched a video of a ch4 commissioner talking about how great UK drama looks. Really not sure what to make of that! I think that the look of UK stuff is improving a little tho. *shrug*

Most of all what you need to do however is to shoot more stuff! I'm guessing you are kind of restricted with only 4 videos to work from.

love

Freya

#4 Nicholas Helgason

Nicholas Helgason
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

Hi Nicholas nice work.

I have to say my favourite parts were the close up of the eye you see throughout and the clip of the dinner set at 1:11, there is a particularly nice colour palette here. All of it is at a nice quality focus, camera movement and framing wise. It looks like something that could be on the E4 channel you work has that sort of feel to it.

My only advise would be to add some depth into some of your images. Some look a bit too flat, and some contrasting shadows would make the image more dramatic.

Hope this helps and keep up the good work. Thanks,

P. J. Scott

@pjscott89

Hi,

thank you for commenting :)

after reading your comment I now notice quite a big lack of contrast in allot of the shots I will deffinently have this in mind for my next shoots :)

#5 Nicholas Helgason

Nicholas Helgason
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

Well once again, you need to put your best stuff up front.
I suggest your best shots are

0.25: Great tracking and nice shot with the girl and the dolls.
0.30: The dansette thing.
1.02:
1.04: Man with mirror, kind of cliche' but looking good.
1.10: Overhead of food, probably best shot in your reel, should be up front but will probably be weird as first shot but I bet you could cut it onto the end of / inbetween the more colourful stepford girls with dusters thing.
1.16: Not at all sure what you can do with this. Might be better in slo-mo? Dunno. It's okay, not the worst stuff on your reel.
1.58: Really nice shot. Simple but beautiful.
0.53: Kind of grey and grim but I think that's the point right? This looks like an interesting kind of body rig shot from what I can see. It's not clear that this is what it is tho, so you should make this shot longer so he is just floating down the corridor. Suggest it should be sandwiched between more colourful stuff, like after the stepford cleaners or something. You may not have enough footage to make that work tho, dunno.

Would avoid the eye close ups if you can. An extreme close up of a bannana or a biscuit or something would be way better. It's really a huge cliche' and very boring.

Theres a lot of really boring shots that shouldn't really be on your reel but you might be stuck with. I sort of like the deep depth of field thing you are trying to do in the cafe, but it doesn't quite work. I think it needs more distance for starters.

...and yes it really does have the look of a very cheap UK tv drama.
Would suggest you spend some more time watching more cinematic movies.
(Will be facinated if you tell me now you aren't based in the UK?!!)
OTOH maybe this look will take you really far in the world of UK tv, I've never been sure if they really want the programmes to look like that!!! I've just watched a video of a ch4 commissioner talking about how great UK drama looks. Really not sure what to make of that! I think that the look of UK stuff is improving a little tho. *shrug*

Most of all what you need to do however is to shoot more stuff! I'm guessing you are kind of restricted with only 4 videos to work from.

love

Freya

Hi,

your comment was a big help so much usefull information :) thank you so much, it really helped to see what shots where working and why

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post