#1 Ben Edwards

Ben Edwards

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:06 PM

Hi, I am a student looking for a decent monitor to get started with. From a bit of resurrect the Dell UltraSharp U2410 seems like a good option for those of us who cant afford a HP Dreamcolour. Its about £350/$550. What do people thing, is there anything else I should look at?

Ben

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

I own two 2405s, I have seen movies graded with some success on 2407s

They're among the best of the worst, if you see what I mean; nothing like a real broadcast monitor, but if you're going to have to use a domestic monitor, you can do far worse. Online gamers eschew them because they have quite severe input lag in the processing circuitry, but frankly unless you're one of those faster-than-a-chipped-cheetah first person shooter afficionados with the twitch reflex of a nervous dormouse, I don't think it'll bother you.

The panel technology used in the older 2400 series (and I suspect the modern ones) gives good blacks, or at least good for a domestic TFT, at the expense of some smearing on some edges, particularly black or white over grey. This is very rarely visible until you drag a window with a black edge, for instance, over a grey desktop. Oddly enough, Windows 7 makes this almost completely invisible with its nice smoothed-out graphical user interface; that's how subtle it is. These monitors generally do pretty well on the Lagom TFT tests, which tend to weed out all the poorest competitors.

So, yeah, entirely decent. At least as good as the equivalent Apple stuff.

Anyone remember when people used to buy those godawful Sony things for £1000 each? Auugh.

P

#3 Tom Brady

Tom Brady

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

Find a used NEC 2490WUXi2.

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies