1 reply to this topic

#1 John M

John M
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

I'm shooting a very low budget small project on DSLR this weekend. One scene is in the middle of the day with sunlight pouring through the kitchen windows, and there are tungsten practicals hanging from the ceiling. We do have some reflectors as I'm concerned about some shadow cast on faces. I do have a 6000K or close to that lED ring light I built and mounted on front of a matte box. I'd just like to know how best to deal with a mixed light source. Gelling the windows is not an option. A filter on the lens would either make one of the light sources to orange or to blue. Am I best just to try and avoid one of the light sources all together? Is there something I should do different when white balancing?

#2 Travis Gray

Travis Gray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Boston, MA

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:15 PM

I'm shooting a very low budget small project on DSLR this weekend. One scene is in the middle of the day with sunlight pouring through the kitchen windows, and there are tungsten practicals hanging from the ceiling. We do have some reflectors as I'm concerned about some shadow cast on faces. I do have a 6000K or close to that lED ring light I built and mounted on front of a matte box. I'd just like to know how best to deal with a mixed light source. Gelling the windows is not an option. A filter on the lens would either make one of the light sources to orange or to blue. Am I best just to try and avoid one of the light sources all together? Is there something I should do different when white balancing?

Are they actually tungsten fixtures, or are they regular bulbs that you might be able to go out and get those daylight bulbs and swap them out for to get closer to the right temp?

Or can you gel the practicals? Less gelling than a window.

Or frame it so that use different colors to enhance the frame somehow.

Those are my thoughts.

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Technodolly