#1 charles g clark

charles g clark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

Hi all,

I have tried searching but couldn't find a definitive...

I am planning to shoot anamorphic 35 (pl mount lomo's) on my moviecam compact. It is currently centred for normal 35 however I don't have an anamorphic gate, only academy and super 35mm full aperture. The movielite can display scope framelines so framing won't be an issue.

The question is... Although the project is completely intended for a digital finish from the outset, and the possibility of a print from neg is very very low, would I still be able to contact print (assuming of course neg cut and printing is still an option a few years down the road) for a normal scope print without needing an optical?

As I said chances are very very slim, and won't affect the shoot, however the digital finish wont involve anything other than the digital equivalent of printer lights, and as owner of the neg it would be a nice to do in the future if it's possible and worthwhile.

Of course the financial penalty to do nice to do's on a very low budget job are ludicrous in theory, and also financially constraining given the possibility of a future 4k finish but I would like to know.

Thanks in advance

Charles

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

You should use the Full Aperture (Super) gate, not the Academy one, because an anamorphic gate is something like Academy in width (and offset to the right like Academy is) but Full Aperture in height. Then use a standard 2.40 anamorphic ground glass.

Yes, if the lens is centered for Academy, not Full/Super, then you can contact print the negative, put an optical soundtrack on the print, etc. Shoot a framing chart.

#3 charles g clark

charles g clark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:03 AM

Thanks David!

Technodolly

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider