5 replies to this topic

#1 Guy Staley

Guy Staley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

If you could have only one size flag/net set for small location narrative film shoots, what would it be, and how many of each (solid, single, double, etc.) would you have in said kit?

TIA for any input!

#2 Ricardo Casco

Ricardo Casco
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Grip
  • Houston

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

24x36 are pretty good. The 24x36 floppy flags are pretty cool. 2 of each usually does the trick, its what I have in the truck, but some extra flags
For smaller places 18x24

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

I always keep 2 "fast flags" or "road rags" kits on me. one's a 24x36 and the other is a 18x24. Also have a 24x36 full silk which I found in the street just driving through Philadelphia one day... which was odd. If i was inclined I'd also probably grab a 4x4 kit; because sometimes you need something bigger.

#4 Guy Staley

Guy Staley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

I always keep 2 "fast flags" or "road rags" kits on me. one's a 24x36 and the other is a 18x24. Also have a 24x36 full silk which I found in the street just driving through Philadelphia one day... which was odd. If i was inclined I'd also probably grab a 4x4 kit; because sometimes you need something bigger.

As for the 4x4s: I generally use 4x frames for diffusion, but do you find that to be a useful size for flagging and/or scrimming?

I want to build some collapsable 4x frames (ala "scrim jim") to keep in my rig. It should be pretty easy to design; I just need to come up with a solution for mounting the assembled frame to a grip head.

Edited by Guy Staley, 08 July 2012 - 10:55 AM.

#5 Conor Stalvey

Conor Stalvey

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Gaffer
  • NJ/NY

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

As for the 4x4s: I generally use 4x frames for diffusion, but do you find that to be a useful size for flagging and/or scrimming?

I want to build some collapsable 4x frames (ala "scrim jim") to keep in my rig. It should be pretty easy to design; I just need to come up with a solution for mounting the assembled frame to a grip head.

I find that 4x4 floppy's are invaluable onset. They cane be used for just about anything: cutting lighting, negative fill or even a courtesy flag on sunny exteriors.

#6 Walter Royle

Walter Royle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Best Boy

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

This is an interesting question. I have found that the 24x36 and 4x4 are the most useful. For small shoots the 4x4 is so important for negative fill and sun blockage. As well as reflection issues that arise. Having some empty 4x4 frames with diffusion is also great for day exterior. The 24x36 is so versatile for light shaping and flare issues.

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider