Guy Staley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

I'm getting ready to purchase a flag kit, and I came acroos these:

http://fjwestcott.co...ims/fast-flags/

and I'm wondering if anybody has experience with these and their general opinins on them?

TIA for any input!

#2 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

I'm getting ready to purchase a flag kit, and I came acroos these:

http://fjwestcott.co...ims/fast-flags/

and I'm wondering if anybody has experience with these and their general opinins on them?

TIA for any input!

I've had my eyes on those, but they are too frickin' expensive. But they'd really come in handy, even more so if someone could invent a seriously lightweight collapsible C-stand to use them with.

#3 Conor Stalvey

Conor Stalvey

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Gaffer
  • NJ/NY

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

The school I attended used these flags and the only bad thing I could say about them is that sometimes the sliding clasps that hold the frame open slip and the frame folds. An easy fix for this is a thin piece of gaff to keep them from sliding, so its a small problem. Also, they can take an extra minute or two to setup. Other then that they are just as good as any other flag.

#4 Frank Glencairn

Frank Glencairn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Germany

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

I have the flag kit from DigitalJuice, which is identical - just an other label on them - and I really like them.
I would prefer to have that stud that goes into the gobo head, in the middle of the flag instead on the side though, but no deal breaker.

Frank

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

They're fine flags, as has been mentioned. I use a kit of 'em. Cheapest option I've found yet and I like them better than RoadRags.

#6 Tony Reale

Tony Reale

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Green Bay, WI

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

I have the 18x24" version and I don't find myself using it much. The silks are too small for my taste, the flag is okay but I have 4 Matthews 24x36" flags that I usually grab first, the nets are handy when I need them. It does work well with the Matthews Mini Grip Kit.

#7 Travis Gray

Travis Gray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Boston, MA

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

I just picked up one of the 24x36 kits. Almost was going to go with the set from filmtools, but I like that the wescott ones fold down nicely. I'll agree on the sliding holder thing though.

Actually, looking at the bag now... maybe the package doesn't fold up much more compact than the full flags them selves.

Still not horrible though.

#8 Jon Rosenbloom

Jon Rosenbloom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

They don't look very durable. I suppose they're for travel?

#9 Guy Staley

Guy Staley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

FYI, I'm the OP, and I actually ended up going with a 24x36 set of flags, nets and silks from these guys:

http://www.canvasgrip.com/

Extremely high quality, on par with Matthews or American, at a considerably lower price point. Everything is hand made in the USA, and they are really great people!

I couldn't be happier, and I highly recommend them. And NO, I don't work for them! :)

#10 Travis Gray

Travis Gray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Boston, MA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Yeah. I think the biggest market is photographers/videographers on budgets, that DSLR crowd. And since I know a bunch of photographers, that's how I came across it. And people like that you can shove it all in a car and call it a day. And they have that brand association from their other lighting stuff.

#11 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

I have a Road rags set in 18x24, rarely gets used.  I see stuff like this as marketed toward the videographer who think they can have a whole grip truck in a duffel bag.  Fantasy really.  With any kind of compact, trick, fold up stuff, it's the time to setup/deploy that counts on a shoot.  When a DP calls for another flag or a change from a single to double net (between takes), do you have time to lower the stand, remove and replace the fabric on the frame, raise the stand, put the other fabric away so it isn't ruined?  Or is it quicker to swap out a standard flag or net.

Just my experience/opinion

#12 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

They are def more travel oriented. I have road raggs and wescott and leave them in my truck for, whenever you may need them. If they are what I know i'll be using for the day (say quick corporate interview) i'll have them pre built. However, they are small so not as useful and as soon as you're getting a g/e package of any kind; you'll not be using them.

PS JD, Good to see you again on here!

#13 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

Thanks Adrian.

Time passes, new people join, but the questions remain of the same type.  How can I fit 5 pounds of sh!t in a three pound pag?

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS