11 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Thompson

Phil Thompson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

Any thoughts of this by anyone? I just won it!

http://www.ebay.co.u...9#ht_638wt_1141

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:21 AM

Looks fine, not sure if it was a bargain or not!

#3 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

If you were going to get one, the 3rd generation with the adjustable shutter like this one is the one you want.

Price-wise, not a steal but not overpriced either. About where it should be. Hard to judge with prices coming down so quickly.

Those are rock solid with registration pin. Not a quiet camera of course but extremely well built and reliable. If Bernie serviced it that is a big plus. You're ready for a silent feature for sure.

#4 Phil Thompson

Phil Thompson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

Cheers for the comments WIll. Are there any sites which go into detail regarding the various iterations of this camera? Im not shooting a silent feature. But we're dubbing.
Like the olden days. :D

#5 David J Paradise

David J Paradise
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Director
  • London, UK.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

Nice camera and accessories; especially with the crystal base and Jurgen door. In my opinion a damn good buy!
BTW: This seller is a good eBayer. I've purchased several things and been very pleased.

#6 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:01 AM

Cheers for the comments WIll. Are there any sites which go into detail regarding the various iterations of this camera? Im not shooting a silent feature. But we're dubbing.
Like the olden days. :D

My source is the last Arri tech in Dallas... my advice is to find one if you can and make friends with him. :D

I rented one for a weekend shoot and loved it. Definitely larger than a 2C but it just feels more solid. I may do a test sometime and shoot some charts with my 2C and a III to see if I can notice any difference, but that's just on my to-do list.

Make sure you test the mags before shooting anything real. I'd pick up some extra magazines so you don't have to deal with loading on the set. Also if you need a battery just go to a Batteries Plus and pick up a 12v motorcycle battery and have them solder on the 4-pin connection. Might be a good idea to pickup some extra 4-pin connectors from an electronics part store and build out a few batteries. I've never actually run one of those batteries down. In fact I just picked up a much smaller (and lighter) one to see if it will do the job for my style of shooting.

Lots of features used the Arri III including The Empire Stikes Back so you're ready to shoot.

#7 Phil Thompson

Phil Thompson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

My source is the last Arri tech in Dallas... my advice is to find one if you can and make friends with him. :D

I rented one for a weekend shoot and loved it. Definitely larger than a 2C but it just feels more solid. I may do a test sometime and shoot some charts with my 2C and a III to see if I can notice any difference, but that's just on my to-do list.

Make sure you test the mags before shooting anything real. I'd pick up some extra magazines so you don't have to deal with loading on the set. Also if you need a battery just go to a Batteries Plus and pick up a 12v motorcycle battery and have them solder on the 4-pin connection. Might be a good idea to pickup some extra 4-pin connectors from an electronics part store and build out a few batteries. I've never actually run one of those batteries down. In fact I just picked up a much smaller (and lighter) one to see if it will do the job for my style of shooting.

Lots of features used the Arri III including The Empire Stikes Back so you're ready to shoot.

Yeah! im so excited! - I've heard you need 24v to do slow motion. Whats the best way to set that up??

#8 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

Yeah! im so excited! - I've heard you need 24v to do slow motion. Whats the best way to set that up??

I think you can go up to 50 or 60 FPS with one 12v battery, but if you want to go higher you'll just plug another 12v battery into the other battery connection on the Cinema Electronics motor; so two 12v batteries, not one 24v.

#9 Phil Thompson

Phil Thompson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

I think you can go up to 50 or 60 FPS with one 12v battery, but if you want to go higher you'll just plug another 12v battery into the other battery connection on the Cinema Electronics motor; so two 12v batteries, not one 24v.

Nice! You da man!

#10 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:58 PM

Nice! You da man!

If you do go higher than 60 fps, it will sound like your taking off in a helicopter. Might need mags designed for the III vs. the older 2C mags as well.

#11 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

If you do go higher than 60 fps, it will sound like your taking off in a helicopter. Might need mags designed for the III vs. the older 2C mags as well.

2c's went to 80 fps, I think upto 100 is no problem. With the 435 you can use old mags for 120 fps.

#12 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

2c's went to 80 fps, I think upto 100 is no problem. With the 435 you can use old mags for 120 fps.

Only the late model 2C's with the tachometer that goes up to 80fps right? I thought most went to 60... or do you just mean the mags?

Abel Cine

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks