Tom Sykes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other
  • Manchester, UK.

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

Hey folks.

I'm starting a film very soon and have been planning to buy a new light and am struggling to make my mind up.

I would hire but I have the money to expand my kit, and would therefore use this new light on other projects, so before I get an answer stating "it depends ont he look" or something along these lines, while I agree and appreciate that, I am looking at this from a generic angle and being able to approach any project in the best possible light... Excuse the pun ;)

I own currently a set of arrilite 800's (x3) and an Arri Blonde (2k), whilst I am also getting some lights from other sources for free,(300w dimmables and a Kino Diva 400), the lights I am looking to expand my kit with are from between;

A rifa light ex55 or ex88?
Or
A chimera pancake medium or normal lantern?

Whilst a rifa light is more direct in a sense of it being floor standing and "aimed" as opposed to easily being applied as a practical from above like the chimera, I am finding it difficult to decide between the two.

I also love the Dedo Octodome?

What are people's thoughts?

Would it be better to invest in more grip equipment for the lights and make a chinaball instead of the chimeras, or should I utilise the open sources I have and diff them to diffuse instead of getting a rifa?

I know this is very vague, people's opinions are always so helpful though and I appreciate your time.

On top of the chosen light I'm going to get a crossbar, three c stands, and some flags and an arri boom stand.

I have a budget of about £1250 ($1974).

Thanks for any help,

Tom.

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam