Photo

Cross-Processing Super 8 Ektachrome 100D and Improving Exposure Latitude?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dvaughn

dvaughn

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other
  • Illinois

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

Previously, I was under the idea that cross-processing reversal film was only used to create over-saturated colors, more grain, blown-out highlights, and flat blacks -- à la Tony Scott. However, I recently discussed with the owner of a telecine lab how to improve exposure latitude with the Super 8 Ektachrome 100D that I shot. He suggested that I cross-process the film and that this would help him pull more details out of the highlights and shadows.

This seemed counter-intuitive to me, but I was able to find a couple instances online of cross-processed Ektachrome that appeared to have improved exposure latitude. (I imagine a lot of this has to do with how the telecine lab scans and times the film.)

My telecine guy also pulled out this still of cross-processed Ektachrome 100D.

http://framediscreet...ross-processed/

While I trust his advice, I am also nervous, because the footage I shot was at a wedding, so I have to keep a rather conservative aesthetic.

The Ektachrome was shot outside with a lot of sunlight. On previous occasions, I felt that Ektachrome regularly processed had a relatively limited exposure latitude and that the shadows fell to complete black almost instantly, etc. This is why I want to experiment with cross-processing for improving latitude. Also, this could make the film look more comparable to the Vision 3 200T and 500T footage I shot.

Does anybody have any experience in this matter?

#2 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1585 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

Cross processing Ektachrome does not basically change it's characteristics of exposure latitude in my experience. Allot of older telecine equipment will have issues with managing what hilite information that is there and one of the biggest differences between E6 X-Processed and Color Negative is the lack of a orange mask which accounts for allot of the color shift in telecine. I find that X-Processed E6 can be brought back to fairly normal looking in the DaVinci but that is not what people who X-Process are generally looking for. The Tony Scott look probably originated from X-Process that was printed which has a distinct look.

-ROb-

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam