#1 heidi murphy

heidi murphy

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

I am a still film photographer and new to cinematography. I have an adoration of super 8 and purchased a canon 518 to start playing with this medium. I am having such difficulty focusing this camera even when zoomed in and curious if anybody has any helpful tips to help me through this learning curve. many thanks in advance...

#2 Miguel Loredo

Miguel Loredo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

I am a still film photographer and new to cinematography. I have an adoration of super 8 and purchased a canon 518 to start playing with this medium. I am having such difficulty focusing this camera even when zoomed in and curious if anybody has any helpful tips to help me through this learning curve. many thanks in advance...

Have you tried adjusting the diopter ring or something? Otherwise I don't understand how it's out of focus

#3 Anand Modi

Anand Modi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

No matter what, it's going to be tricky. The viewfinder on that camera isn't great, so focusing by eye, especially on the tele and or wide open end of the lens takes some skill and practice. The most reliable way I've found to stay in focus with the 518 is to try get at least a little stopped down and zone focus by judging distance and trusting the witness marks on the lens barrel (my camera's marks are still pretty accurate)

#4 heidi murphy

heidi murphy

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

No matter what, it's going to be tricky. The viewfinder on that camera isn't great, so focusing by eye, especially on the tele and or wide open end of the lens takes some skill and practice. The most reliable way I've found to stay in focus with the 518 is to try get at least a little stopped down and zone focus by judging distance and trusting the witness marks on the lens barrel (my camera's marks are still pretty accurate)

thank you...I had thought of doing that and now that I hear that you're having success with it, I will try it.

#5 heidi murphy

heidi murphy

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

Have you tried adjusting the diopter ring or something? Otherwise I don't understand how it's out of focus

I did check the diopter and don't have any vision...and I just find it hard to really "see" that it's in focus...so maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it...it's just so darn dark!

#6 Richard Tuohy

Richard Tuohy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Daylesford, Australia

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

I did check the diopter and don't have any vision...and I just find it hard to really "see" that it's in focus...so maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it...it's just so darn dark!

Setting the eyepiece diopter is the critical thing you need to do. Read my instructions on doing this here:

#7 heidi murphy

heidi murphy

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:25 AM

Setting the eyepiece diopter is the critical thing you need to do. Read my instructions on doing this here:

thank you...going to review that

#8 heidi murphy

heidi murphy

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

richard - that link was extremely helpful...many thanks!

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera