5 replies to this topic

#1 bambare Qoro

bambare Qoro
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

hello everyone, im about to start working on low budget film and we ( friends ) trying to buy color gels to worm or cold our light also looking for color gels for spec effects etc, can anyone recommend me the numbers of color gels which i need to warm a cold light or cold the warm light please ? also looking for that cheap online shopping site for color gels
need : fire effect, moon effect, sun-daylight effect ( with the cold light ) few few red orange and some funny color for night club scenes
i have Arri
x2 650w warm, x2 1kw warm, x2 1.5kw cold, x1 4kw cold, x1 5kw warm also have kino flos dedo lights but they don't need color gels :) cause have both warm and cold kinoflos and very small pieces of blue color gels for dedo lights, please recommend me site where i can buy the color gels and the numbers which i need, don't want the 1/2, cause I do not want doubling up gels,for example
xxx - blue ( for moon light effect ) etc ... thanks
camera mk2d5

#2 Travis Gray

Travis Gray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Boston, MA

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

I use the CineCalc Pro app for iPhone and it has a gel wizard in it that you use to match color temps. Put in your starting, then what you need to get to and it gives you what CTOs/CTBs you need to do it. Haven't confirmed how accurate it is, but the exposure stuff in the app is pretty good, and the gels I ended up buying for one light looked pretty close (no extensive testing or anything)

Then I bought gels through B&H. Just the single sheets. But depending on your size, maybe go to a theatre supply place, or depending on how much you'll use, buy a roll.

I'm a little partial to Rosco, so, I stuck with them. $6.50 a sheet isn't horrible.

#3 bambare Qoro

bambare Qoro
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

I use the CineCalc Pro app for iPhone and it has a gel wizard in it that you use to match color temps. Put in your starting, then what you need to get to and it gives you what CTOs/CTBs you need to do it. Haven't confirmed how accurate it is, but the exposure stuff in the app is pretty good, and the gels I ended up buying for one light looked pretty close (no extensive testing or anything)

Then I bought gels through B&H. Just the single sheets. But depending on your size, maybe go to a theatre supply place, or depending on how much you'll use, buy a roll.

I'm a little partial to Rosco, so, I stuck with them. $6.50 a sheet isn't horrible.

thanks for respond, i know how to use the color gels i just do not know the codes to buy from internet that is my problem :) in 2 week we are about to start and the internet shipping is 2 week too. so i want be wrong with the color gel codes ... this is first time i trying to buy color gels in internet, yes and im looking for a roll not for a small pieces :)
sorry for bad english

Edited by bambare Qoro, 18 July 2012 - 04:00 PM.

#4 Travis Gray

Travis Gray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Boston, MA

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

thanks for respond, i know how to use the color gels i just do not know the codes to buy from internet that is my problem

B&H has them listed as the names that they are. Flame, 3/4 CTO. They also list the 4 digit number they are as well. Anyone selling Rosco will probably do the same thing. I knew theatre guys who knew all the codes they used most like the back of their hands.

#5 ian dart

ian dart
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Gaffer

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

hi bambare

if you go the the manufactures website they should have a list of the gels numbers

i use lee filters for the following numbers

full colour temperature blue ( CTB ) FILTER NO 201 converts 3200k tungsten to 5700k daylight
half ctb FILTER NO 202 converts 3200k tungsten to 4300k daylight

full colour temperature orange ( CTO ) FILTER NO 204 converts daylight to 3200k tungsten
half cto FILTER NO 205 converts daylight to 3800k tungsten

moon is a personal choice and every dop has his own preferred recipe of gels..... i tend to go with a light blue HALF CTB plus some green........

fire effect i would use CTO

party colours can be a mix of pinks and yellows etc 002 rose pink 007 pale yellow 017 suprise peach 020 medium amber 021 gold amber etc

when you order the gels ask the supplier for a SWATCH BOOK which has a sample of nearly every colour they make............. they are free

i dont shop online but i presume b&h would be able to supply them

cheers

#6 bambare Qoro

bambare Qoro
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

hi bambare

if you go the the manufactures website they should have a list of the gels numbers

i use lee filters for the following numbers

full colour temperature blue ( CTB ) FILTER NO 201 converts 3200k tungsten to 5700k daylight
half ctb FILTER NO 202 converts 3200k tungsten to 4300k daylight

full colour temperature orange ( CTO ) FILTER NO 204 converts daylight to 3200k tungsten
half cto FILTER NO 205 converts daylight to 3800k tungsten

moon is a personal choice and every dop has his own preferred recipe of gels..... i tend to go with a light blue HALF CTB plus some green........

fire effect i would use CTO

party colours can be a mix of pinks and yellows etc 002 rose pink 007 pale yellow 017 suprise peach 020 medium amber 021 gold amber etc

when you order the gels ask the supplier for a SWATCH BOOK which has a sample of nearly every colour they make............. they are free

i dont shop online but i presume b&h would be able to supply them

cheers

thank you Ian, your post was helpful, im trying to buy from bhphoto right now the Rosco gels,

Edited by bambare Qoro, 18 July 2012 - 07:03 PM.

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Glidecam

Opal

Technodolly

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport