Looking for feedback on my firt reel

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Francis Richard Sylvain Girard

Francis Richard Sylvain Girard
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

Hey guys!

I would like to get some feedback on my showreel. I've worked with 35mm, 16mm and HD formats.

I really apreciate any critics or tips, as I graduated last year in cinema. And I am hoping to make a career in full lenght films as a cinematographer.

here is the link:

Thank you so much for watching!

#2 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

Hey guys!

I would like to get some feedback on my showreel. I've worked with 35mm, 16mm and HD formats.

I really apreciate any critics or tips, as I graduated last year in cinema. And I am hoping to make a career in full lenght films as a cinematographer.

here is the link:

Thank you so much for watching!

Not bad. The best shots were the ones where you had a dominant hue (e.g., red, blue, green, etc.) my favorite shot BY FAR was the long shot of the building with the warm sodium vapor street lighting. Second would be the ECU of what looked like very natural light falling on the kid's cheek (reminded me of some stuff I saw in The Tree of Life.)

On the negative end, the shots in the saloon and the backyard appeared very flat and didn't feel compelling at all. And there are some shots in the saloon and on the stage that are far too grainy and underexposed to keep in a reel.

I would also take out the in-camera double exposure. A first-semester film student can do that.

Edited by Bill DiPietra, 19 July 2012 - 03:43 PM.

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

I would also loose all the shots that are out of focus... I mean it's one thing to do a pull a little late for an effect; but you at least want to have shots in focus. I'd also say the reel is too long. It shouldn't be all of your work; just the best of your work. I'd rather see a short, great reel, than a long "eh," reel, ya know?

Still nice to see a good deal of film in there. The ability to expose film will serve you well.

#4 Francis Richard Sylvain Girard

• Guests

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

Not bad. The best shots were the ones where you had a dominant hue (e.g., red, blue, green, etc.) my favorite shot BY FAR was the long shot of the building with the warm sodium vapor street lighting. Second would be the ECU of what looked like very natural light falling on the kid's cheek (reminded me of some stuff I saw in The Tree of Life.)

On the negative end, the shots in the saloon and the backyard appeared very flat and didn't feel compelling at all. And there are some shots in the saloon and on the stage that are far too grainy and underexposed to keep in a reel.

I would also take out the in-camera double exposure. A first-semester film student can do that.

Hey Bill,

Thanks for all the comments an tips, I really apreciate. About the shots in the saloon and the backyard been flat is cause I ve shot in 16mm but neither ths University or the prodction had money at the time to do the On-line telecine, so I had to use the shitty off-line telecine with the 480i resolution, but I am still trying to get the HD results for those shots so that I can achieve a proper look for them.

Yeah, those ouble exposure shots look pretty random now the I think about. They make more sens on the movie, with the editing and music, I ll probaby take them away.

Thank you a lot again! Cheers!

#5 Francis Richard Sylvain Girard

• Guests

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

I would also loose all the shots that are out of focus... I mean it's one thing to do a pull a little late for an effect; but you at least want to have shots in focus. I'd also say the reel is too long. It shouldn't be all of your work; just the best of your work. I'd rather see a short, great reel, than a long "eh," reel, ya know?

Still nice to see a good deal of film in there. The ability to expose film will serve you well.

Hey Adrian,

Apreciate your tips! About the out of focus, if your talking about the one with the girl in the stairs, I will probably leave that one. But some of the others out of focus are probablly cause what I said to bill, the resolution of the shots were edited as 480i, so when I ll have the HD for those shots tehy will be in focus. And about the length, how long you sugest? like 2 minutes max?

Thank mate! I am glad to here from people in the industry!

Cheers!

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

The Slider

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks