8 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Bartok

Paul Bartok
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Just came from the 4k Imax dark knight rises. First Imax experience it was mind blowing so many Imax sequences. A great job done by wally pfister.
I try to keep in mind dk was one of those one off amazing films so tryin to top that was incredibly hard. But I think they did the best any team could do.
I really like the realism approach they took to the filming.
Love to hear other ppl thoughts on the cinematography

#2 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

4k IMAX ?

#3 Paul Bartok

Paul Bartok
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:01 AM

Apparently that's what my friend who works there said, its possible he could be mistaken, but considering i live in a fairly small town, i wouldn't surprised if my Imax just used a normal 4k projector instead of there projectors they usually use. There defiantly was a noticeable difference between regular cinemas and the IMAX

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

He saw it in Digital IMAX, which uses two 2K projectors overlapping each other on a large screen, but not as large a screen as real 15-perf 70mm IMAX uses. From Wikipedia:

IMAX Digital
Because 70mm film and projectors are costly and difficult to mass produce, IMAX debuted a digital projection system in 2008. It uses two projectors that can present either 2D or 3D content in DCI or IMAX digital format (which in itself is a superset of DCI). IMAX digital, until 2012, used 2K-resolution Christie projectors with Texas Instruments Digital Light Processing technology alongside parts of IMAX's proprietary technologies. The two 2K images are projected over each other, producing an image that is potentially brighter 2K digital cinema.

The digital installations have caused some controversy, as many theatres have branded their screens as IMAX after merely retrofitting standard auditoriums with IMAX digital projectors. The screen sizes in these auditoriums are much smaller than those in the purpose-built auditoriums of the original 15/70 IMAX format. These theatres charge the same premium pricing as the purpose-built IMAX theatres, resulting in consumer confusion. IMAX marketing makes no distinction between the new smaller digital installations and the original format.[18] Some high profile figures such as actor Aziz Ansari[19] and film critic Roger Ebert[20] have also actively voiced their concerns.

Another disadvantage is a lower resolution than normal IMAX film, estimated to be about 12,000 × 8,700 theoretical pixels or 6,120 × 4,500 actually discernible pixels (27 megapixels).[21] Some reviewers also note that the approach to using dual 2K projectors does not produce an image quality higher than a single 4K projector system, which are available for some non-IMAX theatres.[18][22] Although originally, IMAX considered using two Sony 4K projectors.[23]

On Feb 3rd, 2012, IMAX announced that it had selected Barco as the primary supplier of projectors for the next 7 years.[24] In late April 2012, IMAX began testing a new 4K laser-projection system, based on patents licensed from Eastman Kodak. Like the film and digital systems, it uses two projectors but it has been said to improve over the smaller digital screens by retaining the traditional IMAX aspect ratio and to allow films to be shown on screens 120 feet wide or more. The laser projector will be available to exhibitors in the fourth quarter of 2013.[25]

#5 Paul Bartok

Paul Bartok
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

Thanks for clearing it up David

#6 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for clearing it up David

Except I thought that Christoper Nolan had declared it was not going to be available in digital IMAX at all, hence the scramble for a lot of IMAX cinemas to re-install their old film projectors for the new film???!!!

love

Freya

#7 Batara Goempar

Batara Goempar

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • JAKARTA-INDONESIA

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

Except I thought that Christoper Nolan had declared it was not going to be available in digital IMAX at all, hence the scramble for a lot of IMAX cinemas to re-install their old film projectors for the new film???!!!

love

Freya

Maybe im wrong from the empire magazine june edition i read that Christhoper Nolan said he was never wanna shot on 3D for TDKR, here in indonesia we watch mostly with digital projectors cinema so i think Chris never declared such a thing.

sorry for the bad english...
Batara Goempar

#8 Paul Bartok

Paul Bartok
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:44 PM

Thats correct nolan and wally dislike 3d and digital cameras.

#9 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

Just came from the 4k Imax dark knight rises. First Imax experience it was mind blowing so many Imax sequences. A great job done by wally pfister.
I try to keep in mind dk was one of those one off amazing films so tryin to top that was incredibly hard. But I think they did the best any team could do.
I really like the realism approach they took to the filming.
Love to hear other ppl thoughts on the cinematography

I saw it last night in an ordinary cineama. It was well shot and everything, but the 4th generation standard cinema print was really disappointing. Unfortunately the limited number of Digital Projectors my local cinema complex means they are more or less permanently reserved for 3-D features.
Apart from two massive plot holes, It was quite a good film.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera