#1 Alexander Sutton Hough

Alexander Sutton Hough
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

My Demo Reel I am looking for some feed back since I never posted my reels on forums before and want to know what other cinematographers think about it. I am looking for more experienced older cinemtogaphers' feed back mostly, I just finished school and just started being hired as a music video DP in LA.

#2 GrahamRobbins

GrahamRobbins

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:37 AM

Alex,

Cheers man you have some really solid stuff in there, I like your frame choices. Where did you go to school?

Graham

#3 Peter James Scott

Peter James Scott
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:40 AM

Hi Alex,

I think the strong points of your work are definitely the slow motion parts and some of the beach scenes. The first shot of the girl in the field at the beginning of the video particularly stands out and is beautiful piece of footage. The basement/underground music video also looks cool. You seem to have a clear understanding of lighting and composition within a frame.

If I’m going to be harsh a few bits in the middle seem a bit amateurish, such as the part with the cars, the woman poisoning the man and the domestic abuse bit. I would cut those out.

Hope this helps,

P. J. Scott

Twitter: @pjscott89

#4 Alexander Sutton Hough

Alexander Sutton Hough
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

Alex,

Cheers man you have some really solid stuff in there, I like your frame choices. Where did you go to school?

Graham

Thank You. I just graduated from CSU Northridge in Los Angeles.

#5 Alexander Sutton Hough

Alexander Sutton Hough
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

Hi Alex,

I think the strong points of your work are definitely the slow motion parts and some of the beach scenes. The first shot of the girl in the field at the beginning of the video particularly stands out and is beautiful piece of footage. The basement/underground music video also looks cool. You seem to have a clear understanding of lighting and composition within a frame.

If I’m going to be harsh a few bits in the middle seem a bit amateurish, such as the part with the cars, the woman poisoning the man and the domestic abuse bit. I would cut those out.

Hope this helps,

P. J. Scott

Twitter: @pjscott89

Thank you for watching my reel and giving me some critique. I agree with you, I those shots are the weakest and I am constantly updating and getting rid of the amateur stuff as I get more professional work. I just Graduated few, months ago and trying to get my career started, so professional opinions and advice are much appreciated.

#6 Peter James Scott

Peter James Scott
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

Thank you for watching my reel and giving me some critique. I agree with you, I those shots are the weakest and I am constantly updating and getting rid of the amateur stuff as I get more professional work. I just Graduated few, months ago and trying to get my career started, so professional opinions and advice are much appreciated.

Ha I’ve just graduated myself in the same position as you, but I’m glad my opinion is valued! I’m envious of your reel I would put your work far above the average quality for a graduate. How did you get into film making?

#7 Bracey Lemons

Bracey Lemons

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Woodland Hills, CA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:41 AM

I really enjoyed your reel. I just transferred to CSUN and am entering the program. How'd you like it? I really havent gotten too many opinions out of people besides "its good," hopefully you can give me a little more detail than that. haha

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Visual Products

CineLab

Paralinx LLC