#1 CalebJR

CalebJR

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

Hey guys new to the forum, was hoping I could get some responses. So I have been working on color grading a music video I shot. We shot the footage in a studio white cyc with black floors. I am grading it to black and white and am giving it a look of crushed blacks and bright highlights and midtones. In some of the shots the lighting isn't as even as perceived when monitoring the footage on set. The problem I see when grading it is that my highlights tend to get "for lack of a better word" like a big blob and I'm looking to evenly produce an all white background. Any help would be great thank you!

#2 Ari Davidson

Ari Davidson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

Hey guys new to the forum, was hoping I could get some responses. So I have been working on color grading a music video I shot. We shot the footage in a studio white cyc with black floors. I am grading it to black and white and am giving it a look of crushed blacks and bright highlights and midtones. In some of the shots the lighting isn't as even as perceived when monitoring the footage on set. The problem I see when grading it is that my highlights tend to get "for lack of a better word" like a big blob and I'm looking to evenly produce an all white background. Any help would be great thank you!

You can try messing with the contrast, exposure, and brightness. Use some power windows for fine tuning.

To avoid this in the future verify IRE levels with a vector scope and/or don't shoot/monitor in 8 bit Posted Image

#3 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

If your trying to boost or clip the background to get a solid white you are going to run into danger of clipping/modifying the whites of the foreground objects. Ideally for the best results you want the grade the foreground object separately to the background - rather then doing just primary global corrections. This means your going to have to resort to power windows or matte's, perfectly do-able even on the 5D but quite labor intensive. So could be hard work if you have to create roto mattes and in general 5D footage is difficult to grade as it starts to fall apart quickly in quality, when you make larger adjustments.

#4 Mathew Rudenberg

Mathew Rudenberg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

I think if you could post a before and after image to demonstrate what the problem is and what you're working with it would allow people to help you better.

One issue I have frequently encountered with the 5D is that there is often a lot of vignetting towards the edges of the frame. I believe this is due to the size of the sensors and the corners that are cut in order to make a lens that covers that frame size but is still cheap.

I find this to be more pronounced on wide shots with even backgrounds (green screen/ white cyc)

If that is what is occurring you may be able to remedy it with a sort of a reverse vignette power window - lightening the edges of the frame separately.

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS