#1 Dustin TrentPost

Dustin TrentPost

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:26 AM

Hey everyone, about to start a short film with a Red Scarlet and just wondering what to expect lighting wise with the color temperature on this camera. The post production side asks to stay within 4000-6000 degreesK so that they have more latitude in RedCineX for post work.

Just wondering how Tungsten Fresnel lights would look in that 4000-6000 range and how to balance them. Same goes for daylight lights, we will be using both on the shoot.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:59 AM

Hey everyone, about to start a short film with a Red Scarlet and just wondering what to expect lighting wise with the color temperature on this camera. The post production side asks to stay within 4000-6000 degreesK so that they have more latitude in RedCineX for post work.

Just wondering how Tungsten Fresnel lights would look in that 4000-6000 range and how to balance them. Same goes for daylight lights, we will be using both on the shoot.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

3200K lights would look fairly warm if the camera is set to 4000K and very orange if set to 6000K.

You can either use blue gels on all the tungsten lamps or use an overall blue filter on the camera to increase the color temp. But then you will need more light to compensate, etc. Most people don't bother anymore and just deal with the 3200K lights in post, I think it's fine, but you can probably get some pale blue camera filters that only lose around a half-stop which will bump up the color temp a little.

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

I personally like the bit of warmth you get from a T light at around 4000~4800K camera balance.
It seems to me, when I'm shooting vDSLR, or when I was on my old XDCam, I would tend to balance around there letting my HMIs or Kinos go cooler and my T lights go a bit warmer.
The big issue you often get into is with incandescent bulbs-- but the trick i did for that was just to replace them all with photofloods which are around 4800K themselves. What I liked about this set up, for me own tastes, was that the "practices' on the set/frame became a neutral "white" -- normally a desk lamp or whatever, and you had some subtle color variations going on around that between my tungsten heads and HMIs.
Often, too, I would use a diffused HMI as skylight with a Tungsten Par (or two) for a slash of sunlight-- giving a warmth to the sunlight and a coldness to the skylight.

That's kind of what's going on in this image

Posted Image

This was shot on the 60D with Leica R Primes and I believe i had a black net infront of the lens at around a F2.8 (though I might've pulled it for this shot. The camera was set to 4600K @160asa, as I leave it for the film, in Technicolor Cine-Style, but not color corrected with the LUT.. we just left it "flat" and lit for that. I would assume the Reds would get you close to this, but my experiences with the R1, however, leads me to caution that their sensors don't like T light too much- - so perhaps just a hint a 1/8CTB might be in order for yo
ur T heads. Try it quickly with and without on the first day and see if you like it (shoot a shot and bring it into red-cine while you're setting up if you can).

Good luck!

#4 Dustin TrentPost

Dustin TrentPost

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:41 PM

Okay so at 4000K any light 3900K and below will seem warm and every light 4100K or above will be colder?

And at 5600K color temperature 5600K lights will seem white? At 5600K color temperature 3200K lights will seem very warm?

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:08 AM

Okay so at 4000K any light 3900K and below will seem warm and every light 4100K or above will be colder?

And at 5600K color temperature 5600K lights will seem white? At 5600K color temperature 3200K lights will seem very warm?

Yes.

#6 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3076 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:39 AM

This is pretty basic stuff. If you are unsure you should probably post in the Student forum.

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Willys Widgets