James Malamatinas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • London

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

Hi,

I'm working on the Epic tomorrow and trying to work out the best solution to utilise three monitors taking into account that the standard EPIC brain does not support simultaneous HD-SDI and HDMI. In researching this I've come across this article: http://www.theblacka...ing-red-epic-3/

Unfortunately we do not have the Pro I/O module so we're stuck with the second option; we only have the RED LCD, a smallHD monitor and a 24" reference monitor for video village. The RED LCD will be used by the operator so has to be connected. In describing the second option Evan mentions that the second monitor should have signal pass-through. What is this signal pass-through and how does it help?

It seems my only other alternative is to have the smallHD and 24" plugged into the camera and then switch output to the relevant monitor when needed, not ideal at all. What is the simplest way of switching feeds between the two ports?

Thanks,
James

#2 Justin Dombrowski

Justin Dombrowski

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Atlanta, GA

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

Hi,

I'm working on the Epic tomorrow and trying to work out the best solution to utilise three monitors taking into account that the standard EPIC brain does not support simultaneous HD-SDI and HDMI. In researching this I've come across this article: http://www.theblacka...ing-red-epic-3/

Unfortunately we do not have the Pro I/O module so we're stuck with the second option; we only have the RED LCD, a smallHD monitor and a 24" reference monitor for video village. The RED LCD will be used by the operator so has to be connected. In describing the second option Evan mentions that the second monitor should have signal pass-through. What is this signal pass-through and how does it help?

It seems my only other alternative is to have the smallHD and 24" plugged into the camera and then switch output to the relevant monitor when needed, not ideal at all. What is the simplest way of switching feeds between the two ports?

Thanks,
James

An example of signal pass through would be a monitor that has HDMI loop through capabilities like the Marshall model (can route the 2nd monitor through the 1st one) or the best solution for this is to rent/buy a magic box hdmi converter. it converts a single hdmi input into 2 sdi outputs. So you can have a monitor for the operator, a monitor for the AC and one in video village.

#3 James Malamatinas

James Malamatinas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • London

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

Thanks Justin, I don't think we can get any sort of HDMI converter in time for tomorrow but hopefully when I find out which monitor model we have it will have this feature. So, to be clear, I would connect the smallHD via HD-SDI to the camera and then, providing the smallHD has signal pass-through and HDMI, connect the video village monitor to the smallHD? With this method will I have picture on all three monitors simultaneously?

#4 Justin Dombrowski

Justin Dombrowski

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Atlanta, GA

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

Thanks Justin, I don't think we can get any sort of HDMI converter in time for tomorrow but hopefully when I find out which monitor model we have it will have this feature. So, to be clear, I would connect the smallHD via HD-SDI to the camera and then, providing the smallHD has signal pass-through and HDMI, connect the video village monitor to the smallHD? With this method will I have picture on all three monitors simultaneously?

The only monitor i have used for this was the Marshall brand. But if the Small HD is a DP6 (or similar model) then you should see the desired results.

#5 James Malamatinas

James Malamatinas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • London

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for getting back to me, in the end the smallHD was only had HDMI and we didn't have the right cable to run it to the 24" so we made do with just directors LCD and the 24", it all worked out ok though and was great practice for pulling by eye. Will definitely think about using that in future though, cheers.

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:30 PM

You can get SDI and HDMI splitters and converters for exactly this sort of situation. The Blackmagic battery converters are good, even if you do eventually run power into them, because you can get up and running quickly on battery power, make everyone happy, then run mains around at your leisure. ACs in the modern world I suspect will increasingly be expected to own this stuff as basic tools of the trade, as well as some long DVI, SDI and HDMI cables. Happily, since they're also domestic equipment, even good ones are relatively affordable. The converters are a bit spendier.

P

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies