#1 Ticho

Ticho

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:32 AM

Hello, my name is Tina, im studying cinematography in Cape Town (1st year)
Im busy with pre-production for my year project, supper 16, im shooting on 200T, Kodak Vision 3.
One of my scenes is very arty, the whole script is quite arty, we are building a set for this scene- it has to be a changing room, like in theater. It is a period movie, 1950th

So basically it is a low key set up, with lots of practicals.

My biggest concern is how to archive low key set up, but with ambiance light...im thinking to use 300W with theatrical gels as my accent lighting, kino Flo 4 bank and 800W with chimera as my ambiance light.
I just got my location, it is a big space 19m by 7m, ceilings- 3.5m with wooden palls so it is very nice for gaffer clamps

i put sm visual references, only few, but my main concern is my stock...i chose 200t, but this scene is quite low key, but i want that crispiness and as less grain as possible, so how do i light my scene with this stock?
i need to have ambiance light on approximately 2.0 f/s and my key on 5.6...is this ratio will work for low key?

P.S sorry my english, im from Ukraine and still struggling with english

Thanks in advance

Attached Images

• scene1.jpg
  • scene1.4.jpg

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

You need to use your full real name, it's one of the forum rules.

The lighting contrast ratio stays the same, you just basically increase the lighting levels to achieve your required exposure. However, you should test your film stock first for best results.

Edited by Brian Drysdale, 19 August 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#3 Justin W. King

Justin W. King
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Electrician
  • New York, NY

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

Hello, my name is Tina, im studying cinematography in Cape Town (1st year)
Im busy with pre-production for my year project, supper 16, im shooting on 200T, Kodak Vision 3.
One of my scenes is very arty, the whole script is quite arty, we are building a set for this scene- it has to be a changing room, like in theater. It is a period movie, 1950th

So basically it is a low key set up, with lots of practicals.

My biggest concern is how to archive low key set up, but with ambiance light...im thinking to use 300W with theatrical gels as my accent lighting, kino Flo 4 bank and 800W with chimera as my ambiance light.
I just got my location, it is a big space 19m by 7m, ceilings- 3.5m with wooden palls so it is very nice for gaffer clamps

i put sm visual references, only few, but my main concern is my stock...i chose 200t, but this scene is quite low key, but i want that crispiness and as less grain as possible, so how do i light my scene with this stock?
i need to have ambiance light on approximately 2.0 f/s and my key on 5.6...is this ratio will work for low key?

P.S sorry my english, im from Ukraine and still struggling with english

Thanks in advance

I am not entirely sure what you mean by ambience. Do you mean you want the entire room lit, or do you mean fill light? When I look at your second picture. The first and second picture are very different from one another. Both pictures seem to differ dramatically from what I am picturing you plan to set up.

The second picture could have been done with only one light, and a practical in the background. The first one seems like it uses lots of light with different colors. There is a pink light and a light with CTB, that might even be double CTB or more. The colorful lights become the ambience, in that picture, so if you are going for that look, a chimera is a little more expensive to gel, and harder to control. Neither of these two shots appear to use a kino. Since you are in a period backstage theatre, I think you might want to use a tungsten light instead of a kino, They are too hard to control to create an image that looks like the ones you posted. In the first image the key light from below seems to be a small source shooting through diffusion, from below. The second picture looks some type of light bouncing through some type of light diffusion,

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Glidecam

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC