Hamza Ben
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Student
  • Algeria

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:41 AM

hello guys :)
i always wondered about how to get sound effects like in the video below specially when the titles appears at the end, i only knw two names they are called swishes, wooshes ... are there any other names (i only knw two)? and where to get them?

hope you'll answer regards

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11947 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:39 AM

There are two ways to do it - either you buy them from a sound effects site such or you create them. Most of the effects in that video are based on recordings of sounds that've been heavily processed and altered in software, so there's nothing specifically stopping you getting hold of something like Sound Forge and creating them yourself - but like any skilled work, it isn't necessarily easy to achieve high quality results, and you may be better off buying them.

P

#3 Hamza Ben

Hamza Ben
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Student
  • Algeria

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

There are two ways to do it - either you buy them from a sound effects site such or you create them. Most of the effects in that video are based on recordings of sounds that've been heavily processed and altered in software, so there's nothing specifically stopping you getting hold of something like Sound Forge and creating them yourself - but like any skilled work, it isn't necessarily easy to achieve high quality results, and you may be better off buying them.

P

okay thank you so much for the answer phil, could you tell me where to get them? a website that is specialized or something like that.
or a tutorial that shows how to create them.
cheers

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11947 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:14 PM

I don't know really - try googling.

#5 Hamza Ben

Hamza Ben
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Student
  • Algeria

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:12 AM

i did, but the results were quite few :(
maybe they're called with another name rather than swishes or wooshes ...anyone knows other names?

#6 Gregory Gesch

Gregory Gesch
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Producer

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:49 PM

Hi. This is a collection from VideoCopilot which might interest you:
https://www.videocop.../products/dsfx/
You might also want to visit this great site created by some very good audiophiles. Free and mostly public domain:
http://www.freesound.org/
The only other word you might want to know is "Hits" - which often follow whooshes as they impact.

#7 Hamza Ben

Hamza Ben
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Student
  • Algeria

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:57 AM

Hi. This is a collection from VideoCopilot which might interest you:
https://www.videocop.../products/dsfx/
You might also want to visit this great site created by some very good audiophiles. Free and mostly public domain:
http://www.freesound.org/
The only other word you might want to know is "Hits" - which often follow whooshes as they impact.

ok gregory thanks for the links i know both, but i'm not sure if the collection of designer sound fx has those big swishes and hits (thanks for the name by the way) .... maybe if those sounds need some fx in some softwares like protools or something
but thanks :)

#8 Gregory Gesch

Gregory Gesch
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Producer

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

Hi Hamza. Yes, the Videocopilot Designer Sound FX has 100 Swishes and 100 Hits plus Drum hits etc. etc. I've just finished a station ident using some - they certainly are punchy and I'm fairly sure were used in the video you instance. When working with sound effects like that you often layer them over each other, which is why you may not be finding exactly what you are looking for?

#9 Hamza Ben

Hamza Ben
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Student
  • Algeria

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

ok gregory, i dont know the effects in the video i showed sound more warm thick and heavy, but the ones in Designer sound FX are like weak and not like the ones in the video for example (thats my opinion, dont know if you share the same).
maybe they used them but with some fx applied
and yeah i know how to mix :)

#10 Tony Koretz

Tony Koretz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Sound Department
  • New Zealand

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

There are many different ways to make whoosh and swoosh sound effects, but for those who don't want to make their own, i thought I would make mention that there are currently 106 different whoosh sfx listed here .

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Opal