#1 Liam Upton

Liam Upton

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

Since the 12 minute limit is due to the file system of the memory cards, could you just reformat the cards as NTSC (or HFS+) in order to get around the limit? Does anyone have any experience doing this or something similar?

#2 Ari Davidson

Ari Davidson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

Since the 12 minute limit is due to the file system of the memory cards, could you just reformat the cards as NTSC (or HFS+) in order to get around the limit? Does anyone have any experience doing this or something similar?

No, DSLR cannot write to this file structure and will prompt you to reformt the card or return an error.

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

The only way 'round it is using a camera with a clean HDMI output (GH2, I think) and recording to an external device.
Normally the 12 min run time isn't an issue; except for documentary type things, in which case, I often suggest tape based acquisition for longer run time things if only to save the burden of data management on sets where, of course, you're running and gunning. Another option I used to love, but haven't used in awhile as I sold off my package, was something like an EX1 or an EX2 with 64gb cards wherein I could run all damned day.
Other options, if looking for that shallow DoF would be something like an AF101 or FS100 (I'd go with the FS personally) in addition to a DSLR for insert stuff. What's nice here, is with adapters, you could conceivably use the same glass so matching wouldn't be as big of an issue.

#4 Nicolas Gomez

Nicolas Gomez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:15 PM

Just buy a 5D MKIII, they dont have a file size limit, or a t4i. Still you are limited to the memory though...

http://www.elsotano.com.co/videos.php

#5 Victor Nguyen

Victor Nguyen

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:12 AM

Nicolas, If I'm correct, both the t4i and Canon 5d mark 3 is limited to 30 minute recording time. Now the GH2 doesn't have a time limit but does have a memory limit.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Opal

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc