Nathan Rawlinson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • New York City

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

Just found and joined this forum and am looking for some advice.

I am a still photographer based in NYC and have been shooting indie TV spec pilots and shorts with my gear and a great crew of producers, writers, directors, PA's etc. Though I do realize that the main reason I was initially DP on these projects is because of my willingness to work for free (or next to nothing) and that I have a decent amount of equipment (cameras, lenses, etc). Having said that I love doing it and I get better and better every time, plus now I am working with a crew of people regularly I am their defacto choice for DP. We are all growing together which is great to be part of.

So the advice I am looking for is "How do I break into paid gigs in a camera department in NYC". As obvious as that sounds, short of some people saying I should contact unions, I am unsure where to start. I have no delusions of grandeur and will be happy to intern a few days here and there and start at the lowest rung on the ladder. No interest in being famous or anything like that, I just want to tell stories with a camera (and be paid!)

I just got my Green Card after 5 years of application (I am originally from the UK) so I can actually do work that is outside of my photography (which was all my visa covered). Would love any advice.

Metropolis Post

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Willys Widgets