Jonathan Dube
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Grip
  • Quebec,Canada

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

Hey guys!
We're about to shoot a commercial on a hockey ice. Lot of action, fast movements/travelings, camera on shoulder..
Just want to know if you have any pictures of something that could be usefull to put our DP on and get a steady shot (I'm gonna be in skates tu push him around)
Thanks
Jon

#2 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:00 AM

Vic Kemper had a rig on Slap Shot that was pretty cool. It was like a hostess tray or a table on skate blades. It was connected to speed rail handles that resembled a lawnmower and it was pushed by a grip in pink figure skates. (JK) I think there is a pic in a back issue of AMerican Cinematographer.

#3 Michael K Bergstrom

Michael K Bergstrom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Grip
  • Anchorage, Alaska

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:37 PM

I would make special skate things for a dolly. I don't know if you have the budget for a dolly or not. Pneumatic tires on the dolly should work nice on a rink. Depending on the speed I wouldn't put the grip on skates, but rather some nice boots with some yaktraxs. If you are under a tight budget, here's something I rigged up for a speedskating piece where we needed the camera low to the ice. I dished plexiglass with a heat gun to make mini saucer sleds to slide over the ice, it worked really well. After this photo, I added a longer cable for the camera and a t-bar for easier pushing.

Posted Image

#4 Sanjay Sami

Sanjay Sami
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Grip
  • Anywhere they pay me to go

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:07 AM

I would make special skate things for a dolly. I don't know if you have the budget for a dolly or not. Pneumatic tires on the dolly should work nice on a rink. Depending on the speed I wouldn't put the grip on skates, but rather some nice boots with some yaktraxs. If you are under a tight budget, here's something I rigged up for a speedskating piece where we needed the camera low to the ice. I dished plexiglass with a heat gun to make mini saucer sleds to slide over the ice, it worked really well. After this photo, I added a longer cable for the camera and a t-bar for easier pushing.

Posted Image

Love it !! :)

#5 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

Nice rig. It looks very simple and effective. What did you do with the battery?

#6 Michael K Bergstrom

Michael K Bergstrom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Grip
  • Anchorage, Alaska

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

Battery is doing it's thing...

The batteries last just fine, little shorter run time, but not bad. You just keep spare batteries inside your jacket next to your body. I haven't really run into battery issues until around negative 20 degrees, at that point the LCD is more of a concern and you start getting the cold weather bags with heat pads.

#7 michael best

michael best
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Grip
  • La/SF

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

It might be too much for what you need but Fisher does make "ice wheels" for there fisher dolly's. I have used them when I was doing a show back east and we where on ice. As for how we pushed the dolly we found some boots for glacer climbing that had small rubber knobs on them that gave us a pretty good grip on the ice.

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

The Slider

CineLab

Wooden Camera