#1 Angela Dalberiste

Angela Dalberiste

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:37 AM

I am a cinematography student in California and will be shooting my thesis film in Nov. I am considering shooting my film 3 perf 35mm to save on film costs. Will shooting 3 perf require shooting with a special camera or will any 35mm camera do?

I guess my question is how does one shoot 3 perf?

-Thank you

#2 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

You need a camera that has a 3 perf pull down the normal is/was 4 perf you can also get 2 perf but that needs the same mod.

#3 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

you will need a specific camera that has 3 perf. Check out www.indi35.com for an affordable 2 perf solution.

#4 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1599 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:07 PM

4 perf Arricams and Moviecam Compacts can be easily converted to 3 perf if the rental house has the conversion kit. Check with your local rental houses.

#5 Jon Rosenbloom

Jon Rosenbloom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

Plenty of 3 perf camera's around, just specify it with the rental house. Be aware that not only will making a release print be impractical, you won't even get a real lab report on your negative; you won't be able to check the image until it's transferred to video. (All the projectors are 4 perf.) Also, you have to be a little more vigilant about hairs in the gate because there's less room for error.

#6 Nate Opgenorth

Nate Opgenorth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Syracuse, NY

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

Plenty of 3 perf camera's around, just specify it with the rental house. Be aware that not only will making a release print be impractical, you won't even get a real lab report on your negative; you won't be able to check the image until it's transferred to video. (All the projectors are 4 perf.) Also, you have to be a little more vigilant about hairs in the gate because there's less room for error.

Couldn't he just have it scanned on an Arri film scanner for DI and then print back if needed? Just curious...3 Perf always seamed cool to me but people seam to avoid it like the plague because its harder to work with...seams like a good choice...Same with 2 perf...Saves film stock doesn't!?

#7 Indiefilmstock

Indiefilmstock
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

I know I'm late to this, but we've been getting a lot of requests for "3-perf" film stock. I have to inform them that the all film is the same and its the camera that performs the 3-perf function. So, the comments on this topic have been useful.

3-perf and 2-perf are great ways to reduce cost and make it possible to use film stock on a shoot. Another great combination with those formats is to buy recans or short ends. We've got a few productions going on right now on ends. Using half the film and paying less than half the price for film stock will hopefully keep film around a little longer.

Richard Kaufman
Comtel Pro Media
tel: 818-450-1122
richard@comtelpm.com

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio