4 replies to this topic

#1 John Mackey

John Mackey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:49 AM

If shooting a short film, which camera would be best if I am looking for a sort of "film" look (obviously won't match the beauty of actual film, but i'm intending to make it seem filmic rather than video-like). I see that both shoot HD, but I feel the Canon could be better because of interchangeable lenses and I could achieve a shallow depth of field more easily than I could if I were using the Panasonic.

Also, how easy is it to transfer files from the Canon to Final Cut Pro?

#2 Ari Davidson

Ari Davidson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

If shooting a short film, which camera would be best if I am looking for a sort of "film" look (obviously won't match the beauty of actual film, but i'm intending to make it seem filmic rather than video-like). I see that both shoot HD, but I feel the Canon could be better because of interchangeable lenses and I could achieve a shallow depth of field more easily than I could if I were using the Panasonic.

Also, how easy is it to transfer files from the Canon to Final Cut Pro?

Hands down, I'd go with the HVX. It's codec is much more robust. Unless you have some great lenses that are interchangable that you need to tell the story, you'll be saving yourself time and stress by not going with a 60D. There's more to the film look than shallow DOF, in which case it can also be achieved with the HVX by zooming in and backing the camera up. The HVX also captures in 4:2:2 which will give you more flexibility on the back end.

#3 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

Are you renting? If so and it is available, I would recommend getting the HVX's big brother the HPX250. I would recommend the Panny over the Canon as well. You are right about lenses and depth of field in the 60D, but that isn't the whole story. The codec and over all feel of the Panasonic will suit you easier than the Canon. You can also download some cool looks for the Panny.

#4 John Mackey

John Mackey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

Thanks guys for responding. As I'm not really familiar with shooting digitally, what exactly is the advantage of the HVX codec? I know its DVCPRO HD, but what does that give me compared to the 60D's MP4?
also, with the panasonic, for a cinematic look, what frame rate would make sense? 1080i/24p, 720p/24p? And shutter speed setting to 1/48th?
I was thinking the interchangeable lenses would be great. The canon I'd be able to rent comes with an 18-135mm and a 50mm. But yeah, zooming in and moving the camera back could achieve a similar look.

I guess for me it comes down to the price. both cameras seem to be really good for a simple short film. The Canon is $200, comes with 2 lenses, 23gb SDHC card, digital power grip, UVprotector, circular polarizing filter, and mic....The Panasonic is $240, comes with power, tripod, ion battery, charger, 32gb P2 card, and a Firestore.

#5 M Joel W

M Joel W
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Student

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:30 AM

If you have the lenses I'd take the 60D any day. Vastly, vastly better if you can light, compose, and avoid its pratfalls (moire, skew, etc.). Just a whole different league.

Then again, you'll suffer from having the same dSLR look as everyone else!

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

CineTape