New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Other
  • Florida

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

Hi,

We have just purchased a Canon 7d - the camera with the kit lens is on the way. One of the things that we would like to do with this camera is record my son's band presentation during high school (friday night) football games. Is it possible? If so, what lense should I strive to get to complete that project?

Thanks,

John

PS I'm really a novice camera user. I've been googling abbreviations and different lens nomenclature for the past week. I'm hoping that one of you experts in the field would give me an idea.

#2 Michael M Frankel

Michael M Frankel

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Houston, Texas

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

If you are new to shooting video on a DSLR then I recommend that you shoot as wide (28mm to 35mm, no more than 50mm) and as stopped down (f/8.0+) as you can to keep your depth of field deep so that you don't miss any of the action.

If you ever used a regular consumer video camcorder before which has VERY deep depth of field you might be really surprised how shallow your footage is with a DSLR.

Make sure you familiarize yourself with the camera well before your shoot and take as much test footage in a similar conditions that you will be shooting the real games in.

Most foot ball games are played in pretty well lit stadiums/fields so you probably won't have to bump your ISO up too much but for the application you are using it for I would recommend around 640/800 but no higher than 1250.

You may be tempted to shoot telephoto to zoom into the action but at 135mm (the stock lens zoomed all the way in) even with IS (image stabilization) you are going to have some really shaky footage unless you are really experienced at composing a shot on the fly and holding on to it.

I am basing this advice on the fact that I have shot a lot of live events such as fashion shows, concerts, and public events with the Canon 7D, 5D, and T2i. With the settings I recommended it isn't going to look like a big Hollywood blockbuster, but at least you will have footage where people are going to be able to tell what was actually going on.

#3 Jeremy Ables

Jeremy Ables
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Student

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

Also as I was Shooting at a local game the other day even on a tripod in the stands people like to stomp there feet, kids love to run up and down, generally every kind of motion imaginable travels back through your tripod from the metal stands as was quickly realized so I decided I was better off on solid ground. If you do decide to zoom in/out as these have photography lenses you have to readjust your focus and whether manually or automatically and may have to do so depending on where your original point of focus is. Try shooting as wide as you can with the lens with the recommendations from Michael. Good Luck!

I guess if you are lucky enough to have cement stands not really an issue just an after thought

JA

Edited by Jeremy Ables, 28 September 2012 - 12:37 PM.

#4 john callahan

john callahan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Other
  • Florida

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:16 PM

Jeremy thanks for the insight on the bleachers and feet stomping, I hadn't even considered that.

Michael, thank you for the advice and the numbers, I really appreciate your expertise.

Our camera should be here Monday. I also purchased the 40mm 2.8 pancake lens to play with too. And, have been reading, youtubing, obsessing over everything dslr waiting for it to arrive. The lens choices seem bewildering. For someone use to a canon elph who didn't even know what ISO was last week, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to give some advice.

#5 john callahan

john callahan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Other
  • Florida

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

Hi,

So I tried to film them...a link of the video is below. I had to hold the camera and it was shaky...I have both a monopod and tripod for next time depending on the stands. The sun was left superior of the screen and giving me fits - I couldn't see the lcd screen. If I had the camera on the tripod I could've just stood back and seen it all better.

Next time I'll try filming higher so the shapes are better defined. But, that will give lots of audience in the foreground. Next time should be at night too so the field will be lit.

#6 john callahan

john callahan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Other
  • Florida

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

Hi,

Just as an update...I made a film of their real 1/2 time show under the lights on a tripod.

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera