#1 Steve Broback

Steve Broback
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Other
  • Gig Harbor, WA

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

I recently took apart one of my variable speed motors to see if I could get it to work again.
Photos here:

http://imgur.com/a/OiuGU#0

It turned out to be a soldered connection on one of the wires so it was simple to fix.
Other repairs to the motor may not be as easy but assembly is very straightforward so if your motor is dead - it is at least worth a look inside to see if the problem is an easy fix - or not.
Enjoy!
Steve

#2 Peter Heinemann

Peter Heinemann

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Other
  • Germany

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

Thank you for these pictures, Steve.
:-)

I myself once needed to open such a motor, too. The faulty parts on my sample of the variable speed motor were a one or maybe a couple of the many flat contact springs that are located inside of the cap of the motor which can be rotated in order to set the speed. I think these springs work as a variable resistor and it seemed that some of them were bent and for that reason failed to have contact to their electrical counterparts. After carefully bending them toward the correct direction, the motor worked again as it should. Before the repair the motor behaved like there was a "dead zone" in the range of speeds: the motor always switched off when this zone was reached.

However, getting the rotating cup back in place needed me a few trials as these springs are somewhat pesky. You need to find your time in order to get the cup on again: bend them too much and the cup will not slip on, bend them too less and there will be still no contact.

Best wishes
Peter

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

The Slider