#1 Cory Lonas

Cory Lonas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Gaffer
  • NYC

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

sorry for the repost but hopefully more people read the general discussion forum.

I am currently prepping to shoot in upstate NY for a short which has some scenes that are being shot as Day for Night. It will be my first time lighting something like this and was wondering if anyone had some tips and tricks about what works best and what to avoid? Production is on a tight budget but I will be able to score some smaller HMIs (m-18/ Joker 1600) as well as some LED panenls and couple new NILA LED lights on the cheap. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Corydon Anderson

Corydon Anderson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

I'm shooting Day for Night for a short film soon too. From what I can gather the important things are:

1. Avoid framing in any sky

2. Shoot on an overcast day or at twilight to avoid contrasted shadows.

3. Backlight actors and do not key light them to strongly.

4. avoid fill light by using floppies as neg fill etc.

I'm new to this too so any other advice would be appreciated.

#3 Jonas Spitzenhuber

Jonas Spitzenhuber
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Student
  • Germany

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

hello

rather use real, hard sunlight, as backlight. your lamps are not strong enough, at least on an overcast day, twillight might work better. a low standing sun works best. half shade, shadows of a tree for example can be interesting. blue filters or low white balance, also light diffusion filters work good. avoid anything in the frame that woul be lit in a real night, for example traffic.
enjoy!

#4 Joshua Reis

Joshua Reis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

sorry for the repost but hopefully more people read the general discussion forum.

I am currently prepping to shoot in upstate NY for a short which has some scenes that are being shot as Day for Night. It will be my first time lighting something like this and was wondering if anyone had some tips and tricks about what works best and what to avoid? Production is on a tight budget but I will be able to score some smaller HMIs (m-18/ Joker 1600) as well as some LED panenls and couple new NILA LED lights on the cheap. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lots of good feedback here. In regards to camera technique, a lot of the old westerns were shot day for night. DPs would underexpose by one and half to two stops. Some would also use an 80C or 80A filter to give an overall cool cast to the image. Polarizer will help darken the sky

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

The Slider