#1 Bojan Bojovic

Bojan Bojovic

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

Hello everyone,I am a professional musician, and music producer, but now I want to create a music video for my music.I am on the budget, money is the problem as always, and I want to find some solution for good light for my ideas, and I am thinking to use some 500W work lights, and to make barndoors by myself.There is a lot of talks on the internet, but I can not find anywhere is it actually working, and can I get that strong black & white look with this 500W work light, all that contrast and sharp shadows.Is there anyone who can tell me is it possible to make a good noir look video with this kid of light?
I have Nikon D3100, 18-105, 55-300, 50mm f1.8, and tripod.
You can see the images of the work light, and the look I want to get.

39396_0a.jpeg 3289448299_d657bd770d.jpeg

I would like to apologize, first because of my broken English, and then because I'm an ignoramus who gets involved in a serious topic.

#2 Kevin W Wilson

Kevin W Wilson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Film Loader
  • Atlanta, GA

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

The noir look of the 40's is a very difficult look to emulate. Certainly not impossible but it takes a tremendous amount of skill to create, noir is really almost a mood more than a look. The camera you shoot on is completely irrelevant to noir.

My advice is to hire a DP to create it for you. Gather up lots of photographs of what you want, have some film references in mind and talk with your DP about what you are looking to do. A great cinematographer will listen to your ideas and bring many of his/her own. They will work with you closely to get great images and make you happy with the final product. Trust me, spend some money and get a solid DP. You'll be way happier having an experienced DP guide you through a noir themed project, especially if it's a music video which relies heavily on strong visuals and precise photography.

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly