#1 Kyle Anderson

Kyle Anderson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

Hey everyone. I am currently in pre-pro for my senior thesis film. We are shooting on 16mm film and have been searching around for the proper camera. I have been eyeing the Arriflex SR3 Advanced, mainly due to the fact that it accommodates PL mount lenses. I have access to a set of Superspeed primes and would love to use them for the film. However, it has been rather difficult finding a PL 16mm film camera in my area. I do have access to a Bolex but because of the bayonet system, im out of luck for using the primes. In lieu of this, i began researching different PL to Bayonet adapters for the Bolex. They seem legitimate but because there are only a few manufacturers out there, im unsure as to how well they perform. Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time!

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

I would keep on looking into Arris and Aatons around you. I'm sure you can find a proper S16mm camera within driving distance to you to pick up for the film.
While the PL system will work ok for the Bolex (make sure you get lens support as some of your primes may wind up too heavy to hold on the C mount) the use of just 100' daylight spools and the wind-up nature of the camera can be rather limiting. Hell even with a 400' mag I'm often wishing I just had a few more seconds of runtime on a S16mm camera. (assuming you're talking like a Bolex REX 4 or 5. )

The Sr2 by the by, is vastly similar to the SR3. A lot of people also like the Aatons for when you're doing to be doing a bit of hand-held work. Lord knows I hate having to throw my SR3 up on my shoulder sometimes.

#3 Kyle Anderson

Kyle Anderson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

Hey Adrian, thanks a lot for the great advice! I will keep searching around then. I haven't explored any Aaton systems yet. That was a good suggestion. Is there an Aaton model you recommend ?

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

The Aatons are all very similar, but the XTR is their level of the SR3 ish (not exactly the same, but close enough) but the LTR 54 and 7 are also all very very very similar. With film it's a lot less about the specific camera as it is the film/lens as you're already aware it seems. The main thing you're looking for is something with a PL mount and 400' mags that's quiet.

There are also ACLs and NPRs which may have been converted to S16mm and PL mount which is what the Aaton originally evolved from. ACLs being the more recent of those two (and hell you canbuy an ACL sometimes for under $1000 on ebay).

Also have you considered renting and having them drop-ship it? It might be another possibility. I'm not 100% sure where you're located, but on the east coast there are plenty of options as on the west coast and in the mid-country you can look into a lot of rental outfits out of Chicago.

#5 Kyle Anderson

Kyle Anderson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

Yes I see what you are saying about the LTR 54 with the PL conversion. It is kind of like the SR2 in that some are modified and some aren't. I have looked for both cameras in my region and have found none that are available for rent. Thank you for suggesting the XTR! I'm looking around Florida right now for one. I'm still checking some Chicago and New York rental houses. However, I'm coming to find that it's less the body rental than the video tap that is going to give me trouble. I've quoted a couple houses and the body and video tap together are going to push my budget to the limit. So i suppose its time to kick up the fundraising ha. Are there any houses that you suggest I check out ?

#6 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:13 PM

Arri CSC is down in FLA, and while i can't speak for FLA, the one in NY really takes care of me.
You do know you don't need a video tap @ all to shoot on those cameras. It's a nicecity; but you can look through the viewfinder. I have a tap for my SR3 which I hardly ever use 'cept when it's on steadycam or somewhere else unreachable (or the director needs it).

#7 Kyle Anderson

Kyle Anderson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:19 PM

Thanks for that. I will check out the NY arri location too. Well I was hoping to have a video tap for the director. It was on the "want" list. But I suppose we will see how things turn out. Thanks again for all the great advice. It's been very useful, especially for a project like this where a lot of these things are somewhat new to me. I feel more confident about things now for sure.

#8 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:14 AM

My pleasure.

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post