8 replies to this topic

#1 Gabriel de Bourg

Gabriel de Bourg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:42 AM

I will soon be DPing a short on 16mm. The film is a horror film made to look like a horror film from the 80s (the biggest influence has been Evil Dead II). Because Fuji will be shutting down soon, we get very good deal from their clearance.
But then comes the question of choosing a stock. The whole film is set indoors at night, which means I'm looking into different high speed stocks. The three I'm looking at is Eterna 400T (8683), which I can get for the best price or Eterna 500T (8673) or Eterna Vivid 500T (8647). Also, I've been recommending overexposing the 500 stocks and rating them at 320, would it be a good idea to rate the 400 at 250 then? I will also finish it digitally and do a grade there.

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:55 AM

When I shoot the Eterna, 400 I rated it @ 400. Of course, I knew it would be grainy on 16mm, but we went with it. IF you want to mitigate grain a bit, then yes, I'd rate it @ 250. it's a very nice low contrast stock btw.

#3 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:56 AM

Go for the Vivid 500T rating at 320 is a good move .

#4 Geoff Howell

Geoff Howell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:26 AM

I read somewhere that rather than coming down their prices were increasing by 30%

#5 Gabriel de Bourg

Gabriel de Bourg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

Prices for new stocks are going up, but for overstock it's cheap.

And John: why would you tecommend the 500 Vivid? I love your articles and was looking more at the Vivid anyway so I'd love to hear some input.

#6 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

Gabriel. the Fuji Vivid stocks have a punch and great contrast . You are looking for a 80's look for your movie yes? in the 80's Kodak [which most films were shot on] still had that. Now no longer , but Fuji's Vivid range have captured that again so Vivid 500 is the one you need. Its a terrible loss that are stopping production of Motion Picture products . Good luck.

#7 Gabriel de Bourg

Gabriel de Bourg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

Gabriel. the Fuji Vivid stocks have a punch and great contrast . You are looking for a 80's look for your movie yes? in the 80's Kodak [which most films were shot on] still had that. Now no longer , but Fuji's Vivid range have captured that again so Vivid 500 is the one you need. Its a terrible loss that are stopping production of Motion Picture products . Good luck.

That was what I was thinking too (I like a lot of the Vivid stuff I've seen as well). Thank you for your help John!

#8 Indiefilmstock

Indiefilmstock
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

Its been a while since I supplied Fuji film for the "Leprechaun" series of films and such classics as "Dahmer"

The 8683 is probably the best deal, but if you are going to be blowing it up to 35mm, it may not be the best stock. If you are, then a 250T might be good

8673 might be the best option. It has a wide range and holds the blacks well.

If you need any quotes on film stock, please let me know. We supply both Fuji and Kodak film.

Richard Kaufman
Comtel Pro Media
richard@comtelpm.com
tel: 818-450-1122

#9 zachary sala

zachary sala
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • chicago

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

I would have to agree with John if your looking for gritty 80's horror vibe, the 500 Vivid is the way to go.

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

The Slider

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc