1 reply to this topic

#1 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

I currently have a couple of K-3 Bodies. The one I posted previously with the mount somehow being about 1mm too small to take the lens. I got a couple of the Russian Prime lenses, and they don't fit either.

I then got another camera, (so yes it would have been cheaper at this point to buy a refurbished one from Du-all) which takes both zoom lenses, and one of the primes. (The other is obviously for a different camera as it interferes with the works unless set for close-ups.

I shot a 5 foot test on N74 which I have in my film to be developed pile in the darkroom. (5 ft so I can use a still tank ;) ) Which should let me see if the camera is working. The unit sounded like a camera and the film transported well.

(with all that out of the way)

The reflex mirror in both cameras have many scratches. The camera that has the working lens mount has so many scratches on the mirror that it looks like there is a Newfoundland fog to look thorough the finder. Are the mirrors replaceable and would that require a major service?

Or should I start building a nice set of soviet era bookends.

#2 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

Bernie at Super 16, Inc. did the Laserbrighten process on my K3 several years ago and just about doubled the brightness of the viewfinder/mirror. Perhaps this process would polish out some of the scratches. I'd just give him a call and he'll tell you straight up.

There's used camera shop here in Dallas that has about (5) K3 bodies (without lenses) they are selling for $60 or so. They seem to be in good shape but have all the loop formers I think. It seems like $60 would be cheaper than just about any repair I could think of for those.

http://www.donsphotoequipment.com

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

CineLab

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products