3 replies to this topic

#1 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

I just discovered all the great Super-8mm reviews at BH in New York regarding Kodak Super-8mm Ektachrome 100D. Of course, if you live near a place that sells Super-8 film, it still makes sense to support them regularly so they are also there for those times when you have to have film the same day.

Keep in mind, some labs that sell super-8 film will sometimes include the processing in the cost of the film, so saving a couple of bucks by buying the film only from B&H may not work out as well as one might think. I have not kept up on that aspect of buying film from BH. Any one want to share their preference on how they buy their super-8 film?

#2 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

All good points but it's hard to beat the fact you can order directly from Kodak on their website now (for U.S. customers). Fairly painless process.

Plus they seem to offer promotional pricing every now and again on different 16mm and 35mm stocks so its worth checking in there.

#3 Zac Fettig

Zac Fettig
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Other
  • Boston

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

I never use Ektachrome personally, since I never project S8 (although I do shoot Regular 8 to project), but I can appreciate those who do.

Usually S8 film (Tri-X or Vision3) from B&H and processing at Cinelab (which doesn't handle Ektachrome). I can buy the film and have it shipped to my door next day, with standard shipping. I don't know of anyone local to Boston who carries S8 film. If I did, I'd shop there.

I didn't know Kodak sold small quantities directly. I thought then only sold directly if you were buying a lot. I may have to try that.

The turn around is much faster than Pro8, the lab is MUCH better (although some LA locals have had really good results, I think they sometimes stick it to out of town people), and the cost is either the same or lower. Pro8 and Spectra give you many more options on stock choice. Although, with Fuji getting out of the motion picture film business, I don't know how much longer that will matter.

For stuff like Tri-X, it'll save me about $7/roll and a week or more of turn around, since I'm not shipping to the other coast. For Vision3, it'll cost the same, but the turn around time is still better.

#4 Andries Molenaar

Andries Molenaar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Amsterdam

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

Seems there is a number of retailers selling through eBay every day. In the US and Europe. So plenty options there if you are not from New York. Also keep in mind that some labs have nice set prices for film with processing included.

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

The Slider

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Opal