17 replies to this topic

#1 ignacio benedeti

ignacio benedeti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Producer

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:13 AM

Hi: Here is my ZC1000 with the two new metalic badges indicating "Fujifilm ZC1000N Motion Picture Film Camera". I´m very PROUD of shoot with ciné film.

Posted Image

#2 Andries Molenaar

Andries Molenaar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Amsterdam

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

Hi: Here is my ZC1000 with the two new metalic badges indicating "Fujifilm ZC1000N Motion Picture Film Camera". I´m very PROUD of shoot with ciné film.

Looks nice but do you know how long Fuji will keep available Single-8 film?

Did anybody manufacturer an adapter to feed for Super-8 into a ZC1000 (from top or something).
I read about moviestuff Roger Evans who made a one-off 400ft reel holder for a ZC1000.
Driven by the external axis of the ZC1000.
Would be nice to have something like that for the 50ft cartridges.

#3 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

I think that it might be better to custom load existing Single 8 carts with what ever stock, if you can. I don't know if it would work, perfs and all, but it worth looking into.

#4 Geoff Howell

Geoff Howell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

I think it's still possible to buy 'Cinevia' single 8 cartridges loaded with fuji Velvia, Astia and Provia. From what I understand fuji will continue to produce their line of stills films.

what's really interesting about fuji's recent decision to get out of the motion picture business is that when they announced their intention to discontinue their single 8 stock back in 2007 there was a very minor outcry (I say 'minor' because single 8's user base is fairly tiny); a petition was circulated and fuji caved in and kept single 8 in production until 2011!

I have a feeling that this may have informed their decision about not giving any prior warning about ending the production of their motion picture stocks. If they were unable to force the end of single 8 because a couple of hundred people signed a petition then can you imagine what would have happened if they had given proper warning about the demise of their 35mm and 16mm films!

#5 Andries Molenaar

Andries Molenaar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Amsterdam

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:05 AM

I think that it might be better to custom load existing Single 8 carts with what ever stock, if you can. I don't know if it would work, perfs and all, but it worth looking into.

That works for people who are capable of doing that. The early makes of the single-8 cartridges are easy to open and refill. Although only with 12 meter of film.

To keep the ZC-1000s going in a general public something easier to use has to be found. It should be affordable too. :)

#6 Andries Molenaar

Andries Molenaar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Amsterdam

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:06 AM

double post.

This site is hardly workable using Firefox. What is it doing?

Edited by Andries Molenaar, 30 October 2012 - 04:07 AM.

#7 Marc Marti

Marc Marti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

Recharging a Single-8 cartridge is ridiculously easy. I'll do it constantly, with Kodak emulsions, Fuji, Foma, Orwo, and now with Agfa Scala.
Even sometimes I do it extracting the films from super-8 cartridges. Shooting in Single-8 is that good.

#8 Reinhard Herberigs

Reinhard Herberigs
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Other
  • Belgium

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Hi,

I also use a ZC1000 from time to time and still have Cinevia Single8 in the fridge. In general I use a Beaulieu 4008 ZM4 but I am also looking to refill the Single8 cartridges with film to use more often the ZC1000 which is amazing.
If you refill - for example- an expired old R25 cartridge, how do you manage to adjust the film speed setting ?
- Do you modify the cartridge, the contacts inside the cam or do you just correct the automatic f-stop ?
- How do you open a cartridge without to much damaging it ?
- Do you send the film on a reel for processing ?

Thanks for sharing any experience or suggestion in this matter

#9 Marc Marti

Marc Marti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:28 AM

Hi Reinhard!

These cameras have a solution for the film speed. An exposure compensation switch with 3 positions: 0, 2, 4. They are incremental in 1 stop, so if you put E100D in a R200 cartridge, you have to put the switch in position 2, and the camera will read it as 100 ASA.

You can play with the variable obturation too. If you put E100D in a 50 ASA cartridge, just put the obturation switch in position 2 and... Voilà! 100ASA again.

There's a third element to play with: the exposure meter in the viewfinder. It allows to do 1 stop over or under, so with all these variables you can play without trouble. For example, in a more complicated situation, for charging E100D in a R25 cartridge, you need 2 stops less of exposure. You can put the obturation swith in 2, and at the same time close the reading of the camera 1 stop more.

Regarding the opening of the cartridge, it shouldn't be a problem. Just be careful and start separating both sides til they crack without damaging any external part. Once you have finished the charge, close it and put a bit of adhesive tape in the exterior sides to ensure it and that's all. For the next time, you just have to separate the tape and repeat the operation. Remember to not fill it in excess: around 11 meters of film is OK.

About processing... well, I do it at home. But if you send the cartridges to any lab they will process them without a problem. Just make sure to indicate that they send you back the empty cartridges... ;-)

Hope this helps!

#10 Reinhard Herberigs

Reinhard Herberigs
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Other
  • Belgium

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Hi Marc,

great ! Thank you very much for your advise.

In fact I will use the exposure compensation switch which I really forgot the ZC1000 has. Shame on me ... you see I use only rarely the ZC1000 which will change !
Closing the shutter degree could result in halting pictures if you use 18fps while you move the cam or faster objects come across the scene. Smaller shutter degrees are however suitable for a reduced depth of field with more spatial pictures.

For sure I will try to open an old R25/R200 cartridge in the near future, I also believe that loading/unloading a Single8 cartridge is quite easy - thanks for your hints.
Retro8 in Japan puts 12m of Cinevia in the cartridges and it seems to work but I also heard rumors in the past that 11m ist more sure.

Thanks again and best regards !

#11 Marc Marti

Marc Marti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

The obturator in position 2 should no give any strobe effect at all if shooting at 18fps, and pictures are pin-sharp. But 24fps is another story...

Just two more hints:

- When refilling, remember to leave the perforations down, and the emulsion out, facing the gate of the camera. That's the correct position.
And if you're doing it from super-8 cartridges, you have to insert it in a super-8 camera first and shoot it till completion (do it with the lens cap on, of course). Then you can start refilling the single-8 cartridge from the very end of the film.

- Another solution for the ASA thing: drill or fill the ASA indicator in the back of the cartridge to fit your needs. A bit more risky, but it can be done...
In any case, my cartridges are 25, 50 and 200 ASA, so all my needs are covered well without further modification.

Good luck and go for that ZC1000! It's waiting for you!

#12 Reinhard Herberigs

Reinhard Herberigs
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Other
  • Belgium

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

OK Marc, thank you. As I said I still have Single8 cartridges with Fuji Velvia 50D and you still get them ... but I am looking into the future and would like to use E100D also ...
I will also check for S8mm stock on reels. I think you agree that this would be more effective (and cheaper) than transfering film from a Super8 cartridge into a Single8 catridge. Anyway ... my ZC1000 is ready !

Best wishes !

Edited by Reinhard Herberigs, 22 November 2012 - 06:23 PM.

#13 Andries Molenaar

Andries Molenaar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Amsterdam

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

To get raw material you could:
- pull it from Super-8 cartridges, good for Kodak materials.
- split DS-8 material yourself.
- get meterware from wittner.

Unfortunably Wittner has all of sudden reduced the assortment of meterware and DS8 materials.
Maybe one could still buy DS8 outside the list?

E100D in DS8 might still be had from John Schwind?

Fomapan DS8 can best be bought from Foma webshop or from Prague/Czechia shops directly.
Along with the processing kits :)

Towards the end of the thread it makes interesting reading here: http://forum.filmsho...zc1000&start=15
It requires creating an opening in the top of the chamber.

#14 Geoff Howell

Geoff Howell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

How do you set the reloaded cartridge to correctly expose in automatic cameras such as the Fujica P2 where there is no manual control for the ASA number?
Dose Single8 have a notch system like Kodak’s Super8 cartridges?

I’d love to get back into shooting Single8 as I recently got a Fujica AX100 with the underwater housing for only £1 on ebay!

#15 Marc Marti

Marc Marti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

An AX100 with the underwater housing for only £1!!! What a bargain!!

For that little cameras, the best is to have cartridges with the correct speed. As most of them are 25 or 200 ASA, you have to fill or drill the linear hole in the back of the cartridge, but that's a complicated thing to do.

There's a thread in the Spanish forum about it:

http://www.super8.es...opic.php?t=7620

Good luck!

#16 Geoff Howell

Geoff Howell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

thanks!
Putting either Tri-x or 7217 in to an old rt200n cartridge seems like the best bet

#17 Andries Molenaar

Andries Molenaar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Amsterdam

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:10 AM

Fomapan DS8 can best be bought from Foma webshop or from Prague/Czechia shops directly.
Along with the processing kits :)

Towards the end of the thread it makes interesting reading here: http://forum.filmsho...zc1000&start=15
It requires creating an opening in the top of the chamber.

Fomapan DS8 can be bought from this http://www.fomafoto.com/ Nice ex tax prices. But check with your customs regulations :)
Importing to the EU Netherlands is a bit troublesome as the smallest items from outside seems to get taxed these days.
I expect that is more due to the expediters liking the fees too much rather than the customs being to eager.

Here is some more homebrew Single-8/Super-8 exchange:
http://www.h4.dion.n...ga/page035.html
Posted Image

Edited by Andries Molenaar, 25 November 2012 - 06:14 AM.

#18 Marc Marti

Marc Marti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

Pretty impressive!!!

Ritter Battery

CineTape

CineLab

Opal