#1 Max Gutfeld

Max Gutfeld

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Grip

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

I'm wondering if this ever happens on a film set? I'm new to the industry. I am interested in working as a grip, I want to be in IATSE 476, but I don't have many contacts in the industry right now. Sometimes I see grip trucks and I kind of just want to go up and ask if they need any help. I put myself on the 476 permit list every week I'm not working (mostly as a PA). Will I get laughed away if I try this? Thanks for the help.

#2 Christopher Sheneman

Christopher Sheneman
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

There's no quick way to the "top", if you want to make it onto a union set- being invited is your best bet. Since you're new to the industry you need to learn all those invaluable skills and lessons that can only come from non-union film work. Where you can take chances and kill actors with incompetence. Indie non-union actors die all the time from falling lights, stunts gone horribly wrong, fights with wild animals- you name it. We just dump them out in the woods and pour lye on them- put another ad on Craigslist and they come running! You can't kill actors on union sets- SAG has rules about it. Non-union films are like parties.

Congratulations- you're new to the industry. Now..it's time to pay your (non-union) dues. Do not show up on a set without permission, professionals are working as they do not have time to hear your frantic pot-induced latte slurping eager beaver leg hump.

Remember, before James Cameron was exploring the Mauritius trench in his private submersible- he was glueing wings on plastic Pirahhas and getting locked out of the editing room by an Italian producer.

#3 Max Gutfeld

Max Gutfeld

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Grip

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

Yeah I figured it was stupid. I'm deffinitely not trying to find a shortcut to the top. I already have a fair amount of non-union experience through school and pro-bono work I've done. Although of course I'm open to more. Thanks.

#4 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

Christopher,

Nice post ;)

Although I get the feeling someone with the right words could edge themselves at least a contact through such an approach.

In another world I did.

But what exactly those words are in that context I can't offer any suggestions.

... somewhere between swagger and humble, and yet both at the same time

#5 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5517 posts
  • Director

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

If you had shown up on my set in Parry Sound Ontario you would of been hired in two seconds! There is a labour shortage of film crew workers in Ontario right now. I don't know how someone can't get hired.

R,

#6 Victor Nhat Nguyen

Victor Nhat Nguyen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Student

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

If you had shown up on my set in Parry Sound Ontario you would of been hired in two seconds! There is a labour shortage of film crew workers in Ontario right now. I don't know how someone can't get hired.

R,

I would have thought that Canada would have lots of filmmakers considering the vancouver film school and all...

#7 Christopher Sheneman

Christopher Sheneman
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:02 AM

Yes. Canada is a great place to walk onto a film set unannounced seeking film production work . Btw, what the f#$k are you guys talking about?

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post