Photo

What do you think of this 30 second short?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nate Opgenorth

Nate Opgenorth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Syracuse, NY

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

This is the first DSLR video I ever really did a little over a year and half ago. Didn't know much about the settings but I wanted to post it to get some advice...biggest regret I have is shooting at such a wide aperture. Really motivated to work on some more projects and I read about new techniques everyday...I only have a Canon DSLR but I'm expanding my collection of glass so that Ill have the crappy kit lens Canon 18-55 f/5.6, Canon EF 35mm f/2, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 and either the Canon 85mm f/1.8 or the 100mm f/2 (would choose the 100mm Macro but its a bit out of my price range right now) by the end of the year. Currently own the kit lens, the 50mm and waiting on my 35mm f/2 if it ever comes in the mail. Looking for constructive criticism. I shot/cut/graded/finished the whole thing and that goes for both sound and picture. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

Edited by Nate Opgenorth, 12 November 2012 - 06:39 PM.

#2 Anthony Kennedy

Anthony Kennedy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Student
  • Montreal

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

The only lens you really need is the 35mm f/2. Lots of stuff you can do with it. Make more films, buy less gear.

#3 Nate Opgenorth

Nate Opgenorth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Syracuse, NY

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

The only lens you really need is the 35mm f/2. Lots of stuff you can do with it. Make more films, buy less gear.

Thanks. I plan on renting glass and cameras in the future and when I have a stable income I'll probably indulge with one nice camera that I can use for a variety of things. But I definitely want to have three prime lenses, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.8 (already owned), and the 85mm f/1.8 or 100mm f/2 (most likely getting this as a gift). I definitely using one or two focal lengths is the way to go. I know allot of famous film makers did this...I personally love the "restriction" and think zooms make you a bit lazy.

Edited by Nate Opgenorth, 23 November 2012 - 07:46 PM.

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport