#1 Philip Ulanowsky

Philip Ulanowsky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Other
  • northern VA

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

Translating storyboard images or shot-lists into actual shooting is a creative process, with all the variables that entails. Creating a working flow from juxtapositions in the editing room requires one to work from the footage in hand. In my admittedly limited experience in taking video from start to finish, I have found that what I had hoped would cut well from a medium to close-up, often suffers a compositional awkwardness as a result of secondary elements in one or the other shot. For instance, even if both backgrounds have a soft, similar diagonal pattern, the cut from one shot to the next seems less smooth than pre-visualized, due to the displacement of the visual elements from one to the next. (I leave aside, in this consideration, cuts for which a high-precision match involves lining up a transparent template on the monitor for framing the second shot to work with the first.)

Even with Walter Murch’s six-element priority list in mind, I wonder if anyone would care to comment on this issue, approaches to filming adn editing, the role of experience, or other observations or advice.

#2 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

The best thing is to watch a movie and see how a certain scene is done. Try to find one that best resembles what you are trying to achieve.

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

CineTape