#1 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

I went to Manchester for the BVE North event and while there I ran into a fellow from Nikon while at the Atomos stand. I got talking and he mentioned that they had a new camera the D600 which like the D800 has clean HDMI out and is also a "full frame" sensor if that's your thing!

Was surprised I hadn't heard about it as I had heard a lot about the D800 and the D600 is quite a bit cheaper and has similar video features. I understand it's also quite a revolutionary price for a camera with a full still photo sized sensor.

Anyway I had snuck my little handbag camera setup in there and so grabbed a quick interview with the guy.

Apologies that the intro comes across something like a sinister children's programme from an alternate reality version of the 70's or something. I also definitely need to do something about my presentation skills and how I come across generally, but hey, one step at a time right now.

Looks like an interesting camera anyway.

love

Freya

#2 Nate Opgenorth

Nate Opgenorth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Syracuse, NY

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

I went to Manchester for the BVE North event and while there I ran into a fellow from Nikon while at the Atomos stand. I got talking and he mentioned that they had a new camera the D600 which like the D800 has clean HDMI out and is also a "full frame" sensor if that's your thing!

Was surprised I hadn't heard about it as I had heard a lot about the D800 and the D600 is quite a bit cheaper and has similar video features. I understand it's also quite a revolutionary price for a camera with a full still photo sized sensor.

Anyway I had snuck my little handbag camera setup in there and so grabbed a quick interview with the guy.

https://www.youtube....h?v=mv2OC4ibIIM

Apologies that the intro comes across something like a sinister children's programme from an alternate reality version of the 70's or something. I also definitely need to do something about my presentation skills and how I come across generally, but hey, one step at a time right now.

Looks like an interesting camera anyway.

love

Freya

Heard lots of excitement about the D800 and D600! You weren't kidding about the intro though haha...but this is some incentive for Canon to start putting Clean HDMI on other cameras than just the 5D Mk.III (which we have to wait tell April for...cool...). 1D X, 6D, 7D, and 60D should all have this....of course the things to keep in mind are the limits of even 8bit Uncompressed....Ill always be picky about Uncompressed/RAW if its not at least 10bit 4:2:2....there is such a huge difference in color grading 10bit 4:2:2 and 8bit 4:2:0...I believe the 5D Mk.III is getting 8-bit 4:2:2 so it'll be interesting to see how nice it looks! I've already seen quite a few 12 bit vs 8bit comparisons though..

#3 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

Heard lots of excitement about the D800 and D600! You weren't kidding about the intro though haha...but this is some incentive

Yeah! I got 2 thumb downs on it already. Think I really scared some people! ;)
Actually the biggest scare is probably for me!

I'm going to do more of these video's as not only is it good for learning about youtube but also it's a chance to learn to improve my presentation skills. Obviously this is how I come across in real life to some extent, if not worse and although I'm making great strides in turning my life around, this may well be holding me back!

for Canon to start putting Clean HDMI on other cameras than just the 5D Mk.III (which we have to wait tell April for...cool...). 1D X, 6D, 7D, and 60D should all have this....of course the things to keep in mind are the limits of even 8bit Uncompressed....Ill always be picky about Uncompressed/RAW if its not at least 10bit 4:2:2....there is such a huge difference in color grading 10bit 4:2:2 and 8bit 4:2:0...I believe the 5D Mk.III is getting 8-bit 4:2:2 so it'll be interesting to see how nice it looks! I've already seen quite a few 12 bit vs 8bit comparisons though..

Is there a DSLR out there with 12bit recording of some kind? I'm really not that up on the whole DSLR scene.
I think the D600 and D800 are 8bit 4:2:2, they are definitely 8bit as we discussed that as I was a bit like "why not just make it 10bit surely you are just compressing the colourspace less, and then I realised to do 10bit would require 16bit processing etc. It's quite a jump from 8 to 10.

love

Freya

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

My word; Freya, is that you! Who was doing your lighting ;)

p.s. Presentation skills were not that bad; gave a chuckle with it in fact and I for one always find it endearing when people are obviously nerding out on things.
I am loathe to think how I look/sound/appear to people when they meet me..... there is one video of me actually talking about a film and I wish with all the powers of heaven to bind every last online copy and send them a take-down notice lol. But I digress.
D600 hmm.... with x mas approaching perhaps Santa will stick one in my stocking and lord knows I need a new use for my Nikon Glass yet don't want "just" a stills camera...

as for 12-bit.. No, not in DSLR as far as I know. I think they are all 8bit; which makes sense so as not to cannibalize higher-end systems.

#5 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

Got a lot to say about the above, but not feeling like tackling it right now but I just wanted to say that this completely rocks(!!!):

http://www.adriansie...i.com/reel.html

Didn't know you had a new reel and it is soooooo good! Love the editing especially. Forgot the name for it, but is is "match cuts", where you cut with matching actions? Especially loved the bit where there is the ballet dancers and then the guy with the cigar does his own little twirl! Also it's really cool the way the footage matches the lyrics, and it is of course cut to the music well. It opens really strongly too which is really, really important. Just really grabs peoples attention from the get go, and it even has a happy ending! So awesome. I watched it about 10 times with a big smile on my face!

Fantastic job!

Oh yeah and I've tried twice now to find that video that features you and it must be well buried as you have an obscure surname and I can't find it. I think universities aren't good at getting things indexed. So anyway I wouldn't worry about it at all as I reckon it's lost forever.

love

Freya

#6 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

Oh Freya; I can't tell you how nice it was to hear that. It put a big smile on my face. Do, please, let me know whenever you're in the states, I owe you a good night at a pub for all the times you've helped me out in all the ways you have!

p.s. If I can find it; I'll put it up online for you under strict password.

#7 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:48 AM

D600 hmm.... with x mas approaching perhaps Santa will stick one in my stocking and lord knows I need a new use for my Nikon Glass yet don't want "just" a stills camera...

Oh dear it appears that the d600 is suffering from what they are calling "dustgate":

http://www.petapixel...xel (PetaPixel)

love

Freya

#8 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

Well on the plus side, gives me a reason to continue to say "check the gate."

rebotnix Technologies