Alex Birrell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Student
  • London, UK

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

Hi all,

I will be DPing a short film next year which I am currently prepping. It is being made through my film school and we are shooting super35 with a Moviecam Superamerica. We have to shoot Kodak 5213 no matter what and the footage, once transferred, will be converted to B&W.

The script I am working from has a night exterior climax which has to be shot in a relatively deserted location (hopefully which a bit of London cityscape twinkling in the far background). The style we are going for is high contrast with some neo-noir influences so isolated pools of light in inky blackness is more or less what we want for the scene. The thing is, we are taught at the film school to illuminate our shadow areas to at least a T1.4 (the maximum aperture of our lenses) to eliminate grain. I know that in these scenes with 200 asa I won't even be able to get a reading in the shadows.

I'm looking for advice and opinions as to how the 5213 will hold up in terms of grain in the blacks in the areas with little or no exposure. I have no way of lighting those areas because our location lighting package is so small and I really don't want an overly grainy image.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

#2 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

It holds up very well. If your bright areas are properly exposed, the shadows will be very clean. I once made a mistake of using 7213 instead of 7219 for a night exterior and the '13 held up wonderfully. I couldn't tell difference on the best light telecined dailies.

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

Agreed. I mean there isn't too much of a difference in speed between the 200T and the 500T, to be honest. It'll hold up well enough especially in 35mm and especially if you're going for a noir ish look. When it comes down to a super cheap shoot if I only get 1 stock, I'd take '13 (or 17).
The only concern i'd have is going to black and white-- make sure you use the lighting you do have to create separation.

#4 Alex Birrell

Alex Birrell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Student
  • London, UK

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

Thanks! Feeling more confident now :)

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Opal